Unit 1: Exploring Equality and Diversity
You should use this file to complete your Assessment.
• The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk • Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly • When you’ve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference • Then, go to www.vision2learn.com and send your completed Assessment to your tutor via your My Study area – make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
1. What is meant by diversity?
Although people can have some similarities we also have many differences which make us unique. It is these differences in culture and background and personal characteristics that create a diversity and therefore a diverse society.
2. Describe the community you live in. Highlight some of the variations you may observe in terms of: • Interests
• Personal, social and cultural identities.
My community is largely made up of White Christian middle aged or young families and from working class to middle class roots. Typical places of worship are churches and chapels although there is a mosque a few miles away that caters for the second largest group within my community who are Asian and generally Miuslim. This group tends to be employed within service industries and shopkeepers and has an even spread of ages within the group.
There are common interests shared amongst the groups such as sports (Cricket and Football being the commonest)
The Asian community tends to centre around the Mosque for nearly all social and formal get together whereas the White Christian community tends to socialise in restaurants public Houses, cinema etc, however the shared enjoyment of curry also brings the two communities together.
The buildings within the community reflect the aforementioned with Restaurants, Pubs, Curry houses and a raft of small shops and Supermarkets etc (Some specialist – Halal Meet for example)
3. Explain how the variations in question 2 contribute to the diversity of the community.
The variations mentioned above contribute to the diversity of the community in a number of ways, as previously mentioned the shared enjoyment of foods helps bring the community together and offers the chance to experiment with foods and tastes that would otherwise not be readily available.
The shared love of sports helps form friendships/relationships between people of both communities through participation in clubs and association etc
4. Give some examples to explain how diversity:
• Enhances your life
As I get to socialise and share in the cultures of people with different nationalities and backgrounds leading to a wider range of opportunities and experiences.
• Enhances the local community
Diverse qualities that are combined can create a new culture or society leading to a much more unified community, for example it can help to change previously held prejudice or discriminatory views.
• Enhances this country.
A much richer society is born of diversity and with it comes a much more varied range of experiences and backgrounds that enhance the country as a whole
5. Describe what it means to respect people’s differences and why it is important to respect differences.
By recognising differences in other people and understanding that they have a right to be different will help promote a more peaceful society this in turn helps others accept and appreciate you for what and who you are.
6. For a person you know, describe the individual factors that make him / her who they are.
Name: Lisa H.
|Defining factors |Brief description | |Physical characteristics...