You should use this file to complete your Assessment.
The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly When you’ve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference Then, go to www.vision2learn.com and send your completed Assessment to your tutor via your My Study area – make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
Please note that this Assessment document has 8 pages and is made up of 7 Sections.
Name: Katie Harrison
Section 1 – Know the employment rights and responsibilities of the employee and employer
1. Identify four main points that would be included in a contract of employment. If possible, use an example contract to support your answer (feel free to obscure any confidential information).
Hours of work.
2a) List three key points of legislation that affect employers in a business environment.
Health and safety.
Employment rights and responsibility.
2b) List three key points of legislation that affect employees in a business environment.
Health and safety.
National minimum wage.
3. Identify a range of places where a person can find information on employment rights and responsibilities. You should identify at least two internal and two external sources of information.
Citizen’s advice bureau. External sorce
Legal professionals. External sorce
Line managers. Internal sorce
Trade union representatives. Internal sorce
4. Describe how representative bodies can support employees.
A representative can advise an employee about their rights and responsibilities at work. If an employee feels they are being treated unfairly or are being discriminated against a representative would either be able to point them in the direction of legal assistance if needed, or inform the employee about what actions can be taken.
5. Briefly describe employer and employee responsibilities for equality and diversity in a business environment. You should give at least two employer responsibilities and two employee responsibilities.
An employer should train staff about equality and diversity. They should also treat employees equally and reward employees doing the same job equally.
An employee should treat staff members equally and not discriminate against anyone. They should also be respectful to others no matter what their race, religion or sexual orientation etc.
If possible, provide relevant equality and diversity procedures from your workplace (or place of study) to support your answer. These documents should be annotated to highlight the relevant sections.
6. Briefly explain the benefits of making sure equality and diversity procedures are followed in a business environment. Your answer should include one benefit for the employer, one benefit for the employee and one benefit for the overall organisation.
Ensuring that equality and diversity procedures benefit the employer because it promotes a happy and respectful working environment for all. For employees the above also applies but also staff members are generally happier and feel fairly treated so therefore their work and the environment they work in is better. The organisation will benefit because from the outside people will see that it is a happy and fair place to work, this will attract customers and others will want to work for the company.
Section 2 – Understand the purpose of health, safety and security procedures in a business environment
1. Identify employer and employee responsibilities for health, safety and security.
It is an employer’s responsibility to ensure the working environment is a safe and secure one and that all staff members...