Exam 2 bio 226
1. Endocrine Gland = is a ductless gland that releases its secretions directly into the bloodstream Exocrine realeses into ducts
2.sweat tastes salty because it contains dissolved body salts and minerals known as electrolytes.
3.Fingernails are a modification of the epidermis.
4. The dermis is a strong, flexible connective tissue layer. Which of the following cell types are likely to be found in the dermis? fibroblasts, macrophages, and mast cells
5. Keratinocytes are an important epidermal cell because they ________. produce a fibrous protein that gives the skin much of its protective properties
6. The design of a person's epidermal ridges is determined by the manner in which the papillae rest upon the dermal ridges to produce the specific pattern known as handprints, footprints, and fingerprints. Which of the following statements is true regarding these prints or ridges? They are genetically determined, therefore unique to each person.
7. Apocrine glands are found mainly in the axilla (armpits) area and the genital area
8. In addition to protection (physical and chemical barrier), the skin serves other functions. Which of the following is another vital function of the skin? A) It converts modified epidermal cholesterol to a vitamin D precursor important to calcium metabolism.
9. Mesenchymal cells are most commonly found in what kind of connective tissue? embryonic
10. Most body odor is the result of bacterial metabolism of the secretions produced by? ... Apocrine glands
11. The repair of the dermis begins as fibroblasts produce
12. A needle would pierce the epidermal layers of the forearm in which order? D) corneum, granulosum, spinosum, basale
13. Charlie is badly burned in an accident. When he reaches the emergency room, the examining physician finds that he can remove entire hair follicles from Charlie's arm when he gently pulls on a hair with his forceps. After...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document