Name: Sara Mulvaney
Lab 5: The Integumentary System
Purpose: The purpose of this experiment is to understand The Integumentary System.
Hypothesis: If I understand the skin, the appendages of skin, and diease of the skin, then I will be able to fully understand The Integumentary System. Materials: Marieb, Elaine. Hoehn, Katja. Human Anatomy & Physiology. Pearson. 2013. Print
Methods: The skin, appendages of the skin, and disease of the skin. Results:
BSC 2085C – Anatomy & Physiology I
Lab 5: The Integumentary System
Name __Sara Mulvaney__
Directions: There are five (5) activities in this lab. Please be sure to complete them all. For all questions, type your answers into the yellow box ____ (including your name above) it will expand as you write.
Activity 1: The Skin
1-1: Enter the letter of the correct structure in the space provided:
A. adipose tissue
B. eccrine sweat gland
C. arrector pili muscle
E. hair root
G. sweat pore
H. sebaceous gland
1-2: Please enter the letter of the correct structure in the space provided: A.
_B___ 1. Translucent cells, containing keratin
_F___ 2. Dead cells
_C___ 3. Dermis layer responsible for fingerprints
_D___ 4. Vascular region
_E___ 5. Epidermal region of rapid cell division; deepest epidermal layer _G___ 6. Scale-like cells full of keratin that constantly flake off _C___ 7. Site of elastic and collagen fibers
_E___ 8. Site of melanin formation
1-3: Fill in the blanks.
1. Blueness of the skin due to low oxygen concentration in the blood is called _Cyanosis___. 2. A muscle that causes a hair to stand on end is called a/an _Piloerector_Muscle__. 3. Cerumen is more commonly known as _Ear Wax___.
4. The process of removing burned skin from a patient is called _Debridement___. 5. Caucasian skin gets its color mainly from the white dermal collagen and the blood pigment _Hemoglobin___.
6. The dietary pigment _Carotene___ sometimes gives it a yellowish tint, but if both the skin and the whites of the eyes are tinted this color, a disorder called _Jaundice___ may be suspected.
7. Black, brown, tan, and reddish hues are all due to various amounts of _Melanin___. 8. Choking or cardiac arrest may cause an abnormal skin color called _Cyanosis___, due to a low level of oxygen in the blood.
9. The redness of blushing or sunburn is called _Erythema___.
1-4: Please enter the letter of the correct structure in the space provided: A. stratum basale
C. merkel cell
D. stratum corneum
E. sensory nerve ending
F. stratum spinosum
G. stratum granulosum
I. dendritic cell
K. melanin granule
Activity 2: Appendages of the Skin
2-1: Please enter the letter of the correct structure in the space provided:
A. follicle wall
B. arrector pili
I. region of cell division and hair growth
J. sebaceous gland
K. connective tissue sheath
L. internal root sheath
M. external root sheath
O. adipose tissue
P. hair shaft
Q. glassy membrane
2-2: Fill in the blanks.
1. The nails and part of the hair are made of a durable, extensively cross-linked protein called hard _Keratin___.
2. A hair grows in a diagonal epithelial tube called a _Follicle___. 3. Coarse, pigmented hair is called _Terminal Hair___, whereas...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document