The Nigeria Ecological Fund Office

Only available on StudyMode
  • Download(s) : 157
  • Published : February 1, 2013
Open Document
Text Preview
The Nigeria Ecological Fund Office

Aroboinosen Hillary

Department of Agricultural and Bio-Resources Engineering, Federal University of Technology, Minna, Niger State, Nigeria E-mail:aroby_hillary@yahoo.com

Abstract
Nigeria has a total land area of 983,213 km2 occupied by about 140 Million people: The interaction of these millions of people with their environment has left indelible mark on the landscape. Deforestation, desertification, flooding, erosion and all kinds of pollution as well as climate change are some of the resultant effects of man’s interaction with his environment. These changes occur as the people attempt to acquire their seemingly endless desire for food, shelter, recreation and infrastructural facilities. Though these wants and desires contribute to the development of the country, the unwise use of the land and its resources produce negative impacts on the environment. The Ecological Fund Office (EFO) was established to control the Nigerian Ecological problems, ensuring the effective coordination and monitoring of the implementation of Government policies and programmes as it affects Ecological Fund and projects, in all spheres of our national life. But field observation revealed that environmental degradation is growing at a rate worse than the pre EFO period. Solution to these problems require going beyond the strategies and objectives of EFO. Environmental protection techniques should be indigenized. It should be written and delivered in Nigerian languages. The design should take cognizance of the deferent ecological zone in the country and the people should be the agents. For an enduring legacy, Environmental Educational (which should include environmental protection techniques) should be included in primary and post primary school curricula.

1. INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the Study The Federal Government of Nigeria established the Ecological Fund through the Federal Account Act, 1981 as a pool of funds that would be solely devoted to funding of ecological problems. Decrees 36 of 1984 and 106 of 1992 as well as the Allocation of Federation Account Modification order of 2002, subsequently modified the act. The Fund, which was originally constituted one percent (1%) of the federation account, was reviewed to two percent (2%) in 1992, and later one percent (1%) of the derivation allocation was added, thus bringing the total percentage to three percent (3%). Of this amount 48.5% goes to the federal government, while 24% and 20% are set for states and local governments respectively. Usually these funds are disbursed for various ecological intervention projects such as flood and erosion control, pollution remediation and waste management among others. 1.2 Objective of the Study The overall aim of the study is to reach a better understanding of the Ecological Fund office The Specific objectives are: 1. To document the array of activities of the Ecological Fund Office and to assess the sustainability of these activities. 2. To understudy the various ecological problems and document how their impacts affect Nigeria. 3. To assess the impact of ecological problems 1.3 Brief History of the Ecological Fund Office The Ecological Fund Office was originally established in 1981 through the Federation Account Act (1981) based on the recommendation of the Okigbo Commission in order to the Ecological Fund Office in solving the various

have a pool of Fund that would be solely devoted to funding of ecological problems. The Act has subsequently been modified by Decrees 36 of 1984 and 106 of 1992 respectively; and further modified through the Allocation of Revenue/Federation Account etc (modification) order of 8th July 2002. The Ecological Fund was solely established with the principal objective of ensuring that adequate provision was made to address the serious ecological problems facing the nation be it flood, coastal soil erosion, desertification and drought as well as general pollution. It was...
tracking img