Ribeiro and David (2001) state that information technology over the years has had a number of significant impact on organizations. Such impacts are:
• It has created opportunities for competitive advantages amongst competitors in any industry
• It has improved the relationship existing between customers and organizations
• It has helped with the development of new products as well as services
• It has allowed organizations to perform tasks which would have remained impossible without the use of a computer system.
• It has reduced the total cost incurred in transaction processing for banks and other financial institutions.
History of the I.T manager
Having applied for the post of the I.T systems manager, listed below are my qualifications and information about my past work experience:
• A master’s degree in Information systems with technical background in Windows Server and Desktop technology
• Professional qualifications in CISCO and MCSE with an understanding of some server grade applications including IIS, Apache, SharePoint, DNS, SQL and Foundstone
• Reasonable knowledge of large enterprise LAN/WAN environments
• 8 years experience in project management, leadership and organizational skills
• 7 years IT managerial experience in other financial institutions
• 5 years experience with client technologies
• 4 years working experience developing effective IT for financial institutions
History of Progress bank
Progress bank was established in 1999 and up till now does not have any I.T department in place. Their customer base is relatively small as well as the number of staff. Recently, it mergered with another bank in a bid to make it stronger and this has led to increased operational activities, increased customer base and more staff and a decision to introduce and implement an effective I.T department for the bank.
The board decided to set up the department in order to ease their work, to allow free flow of communication between the various departments, to hasten decision making processes, to improve the turn-around time in their daily operational activities.
The board members of the bank want the I.T manager to report directly to the Head of Operations of the bank. About 10 – 12 information technology specialists would be required to work with him in the new department and the roles and responsibilities are to develop, maintain and support the banks cash and commercial product management systems, to reconcile accounts, to manage the cash systems and control disbursement of funds.
Some recruitment consultants were consulted to help out with the recruitment of appropriate candidates and so far, 8 people have been recruited to work with the I.T manager. These people include network technicians, network assistants, and network engineers.
Responsibilities of the I.T manager
The major tasks and responsibilities of the I.T manager have been identified to be:
1. Development of an information system for the bank.
2. Coordination, monitoring and supervision of the supporting staff for the development, designing, coding, maintaining and modifying application programs for a limited area and small number of projects.
3. Extensively working with the business units of the bank in support of their business processes, electronic business communication and also transactional needs.
4. The provision of analytical support for applications-related activities including customer experience, marketing, technology, human resource and also the operations department.
5. Leading the deployment of advanced information technology solutions relating to commercial product needs.
6. Recommendation and suggestion of strategies as well as hardware and software enhancements to increase employee productivities.
7. Administering, recommending and implementing changes to policies...