Кафедра английского языка № 2
Разработка по домашнему чтению для студентов I курса факультета МЭО
Москва, 2004 г.
Jean Webster (Alice Jane Chandler Webster, 1876-1916)
was born in New York and educated there and at Vassar. Among her half-dozen or so novels, Daddy-Long-Legs (1912) became internationally popular and was also dramatized and filmed.
List of proper names
Jerusha Abbot (Judy) [dGR’ru:SR ’WbRt] [‘dGu:dI]
Mrs. Lippett [‘lIpIt]
Sallie McBride [‘sWlI m(R)k’braId]
Julia Pendleton [‘dGu:ljR ‘pendltRn]
Mr. Jervis Pendleton [‘dGQ:vIs ‘pendltRn]
Mr. and Mrs. Semple [‘sempl]
Unit 1: Blue Wednesday
1. Read the introductory part of the book, Blue Wednesday for detailed comprehension.
2. Write a summary of Blue Wednesday. 4
3. Look up the pronunciation and learn the following words:
wrinkle, haste, comb, trustee, matron, automobile, curiosity, routine, anxiety, anxious, conduct (n), record (n), essay, to ridicule, generous, allowance, progress (n), detail, to sew.
4. a) Find the following word combinations. Look them up in a dictionary, learn their pronunciation and give the Russian equivalents. b) Write out the sentences they are used in. 4
| |to remind smb of smth | |. |to bear the brunt of smth | | |to escape from smth | | |to lean against smth / to lean forward | | |to get into trouble | | |on the point of doing smth | | |by nature | | |to insist on smth (doing smth) | | |to be accustomed to smth, smb | | |to take an interest in smb, smth | | |to interest smb in smb, smth | | |to send smb to college | | |to raise a question | | |to finish school | | |to do well in one’s studies (in/at school) |
5. Reproduce the situations in which the above suggested word-combinations are used. Model:– to remind smb of smth
On the first Wednesday in every month the trustees of the asylum came to make their rounds. That is why everything had to be spotless and in perfect order. All the orphans had to be scrubbed and combed and reminded of their manners.
6. Answer the following questions:...