2013 Exam Review Session
CGA MS2 Information Systems’ Strategy
Agenda will change as needed to suit your needs • 2 pm Start. • Introduction & Feedback Solicitation • 2:10 – 2:30: Fundamentals of Business Case Analysis • 2:30 – 3:45. Business Case Example/s • Break 10 mins • 3:55 – 5pm Review of key items from all modules • 5pm Finish. 2
Nine-step approach to case analysis
Spend about 40% of your time on the case – 90 minutes.
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9.
Skim the case. Read the case closely. Identify problems, threats, and opportunities. Analyze the data. Generate alternatives. Select the decision criteria. Analyze and evaluate the alternatives. Make a recommendation or decision. Determine Implementation steps & associated Risks. 3
Executive Summary (3 marks)
• • • • Objective of the report Key problems/threats/opportunities identified State Alternatives (briefly) Recommendations – Include completion date & Implementation strategy – Key Risk and mitigation (briefly)
• It should suffice as a Stand alone report REVIEW YOUR CASE…
Current Situation (10 marks)
• List some of the strengths/ Strategic advantages • Is there an existing system? • What is wrong? – – – – – List & briefly explain the problems Categorize them if possible Determine Root cause, if there is one single cause? Business fundamental shortcomings? Conflicts? • Does the technology used align / support the business model? • Organizational misfits? • Strategic misfits? 5
Current Situation contd…
• What is the Impact?
– Cost: quantified in $$ – Does it meet current or future business needs? – Intangible impacts – Strategic • Threats • Opportunities
– Competitive – Technological
Criteria (5 marks)
• What is Criteria? What is it used for? • State it at a high level where you can • Prioritize the criteria – and show that you have done so.
• Explain why you chose each criterion
• Measuring each criterion?($, market share/Sales, other goals) – Does it meet current or future business needs? – $ savings – Intangible benefits – Strategic • Threats • Opportunities
– Competitive – Technological
Alternatives & Recommendation (15 marks)
• • • • Improvise & use your imagination (just be logical). Each alternative should be a mostly complete Solution. Each alternative should be feasible. Assess each alternative based upon the criteria – show this analysis in your work. • Other pros & cons (other than in the criteria) • Alternatives don’t have to be mutually exclusive. They can be a combination of the options identified. • Why did you choose the recommended alternative/s? – Benefits – Explain how it achieves the objective/resolves the problem – Limitations / risks 8
Alternatives & Recommendation (Continued…)
• Make a recommendation (use a positive voice!)
– Do not just suggest something – Do not say it weakly or ambiguously • I believe… / In my opinion… / My thoughts are…
– Clearly recommend an action and explain
• what it is and • why it fits the criteria. (if you have not already in the analysis).
Risk Management Plan (15 marks)
Read Carefully the requirements of this section. Does it require an Implementation / Action plan as well?
• Narrative explanation
– Implementation Strategy/Approach (at a high level)? – Assumptions / Requirements • High level Risks, Ethical, Privacy issues? (Probability & Impact) • Mitigation Strategies • Plan ‘B’
• Actual implementation steps and, within each step
– Step Risk if any and mitigation plan if any
• • • •
Time Lines / Time Frame / Schedule Detail Costs Responsibilities Project Phases, if any… short term, long term 10
Exam Review Session
• Go over Business Case
– Tony’s Auto Services Inc. from 2010 June exam
Some multiple choice tips…
• When answering a true and false question on the Exam simply break down complex sentences into smaller phrases. Each phrase has to be true or the entire sentence is false. • And,...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document