NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Equality and Diversity
Unit 1: Exploring Equality and Diversity
You should use this file to complete your Assessment.
• The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk • Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly • When you’ve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference • Then, go to www.vision2learn.com and send your completed Assessment to your tutor via your My Study area – make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
Name: Anthony Knowles
1. What is meant by diversity?
Diversity means difference, diversity recognises that though people have things in common with each other, they are also different and unique in many ways. Diversity is about recognising and valuing those differences.
2. Describe the community you live in. Highlight some of the variations you may observe in terms of: • Interests
• Personal, social and cultural identities.
I live in a very diverse community, in a small town in Normanton. We have alot of schools in our area, along with a small shopping centre. New Private Housing to Local Council Housing. There’s a lot of age variations within my community from the very young to the very old. As it is a multicultural community there are a lot of different religions with in this area, from Christian, Catholic, Muslim, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc and have noticed different worship places locally. I view myself as an upstanding citizen within our community, i am not racist and help out when i can. I am easy going and always willing to lend a hand when i can. The community i live in is very helpful and i think that with all these different cultures , we have all learned to live together.
3. Explain how the variations in question 2 contribute to the diversity of the community.
There are lots of different Religions such as, Christian, Catholic, Muslim, Buddhism, Hinduism, There are well off people living near people that are struggling with every day life but we all live as a community, using the same shops and local amenities. There are a wide range of facilities available to accommodate the diverse community i live in, such as:- Different places of worship ie Mosque’s and Church’s. We also have community centres and parks. There are also a wide range of different cuisines to suite everyone’s tastes. There are also a number of local public houses that the community share along with a sports centre.
4. Give some examples to explain how diversity:
• Enhances your life
• Enhances the local community
• Enhances this country.
Diversity has enhanced my life because of the multicultural community i live in. Meeting people from different ethnic backgrounds has given me the opportunity to explore the different ways of life. Music, Dress, Beliefs, Cuisine. It also enhances my life is that it teaches me to be more tolerant and I can learn how to live in society with so many different people. Diversity will improve the quality of life because in diverse community we can learn how to live with so many different people and groups. Also meeting people of a much older age group has allowed me to see the difference values to which they hold , compared to the younger generation today. The different ethnic origins hat we have today living in our community provides a variety of cultures that we are able to share with each other especially with the businesses they bring. Many people have originated from different countries and ethnic backgrounds, so they bring aspects of their culture to enhance this country.
5. Describe what it means to respect people’s differences and why it is important to respect differences....
Please join StudyMode to read the full document