Unit 1: Exploring Equality and Diversity
You should use this file to complete your Assessment.
• The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk
• Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly
• When you’ve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference
• Then, go to www.vision2learn.com and send your completed Assessment to your tutor via your My Study area – make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
Name: Anthony Knowles
1. What is meant by diversity?
Diversity means difference, diversity recognises that though people have things in common with each other, they are also different and unique in many ways. Diversity is about recognising and valuing those differences.
2. Describe the community you live in. Highlight some of the variations you may observe in terms of: • Interests • Beliefs • Ages • Lifestyles • Personal, social and cultural identities.
I live in a very diverse community, in a small town in Normanton. We have alot of schools in our area, along with a small shopping centre. New Private Housing to Local Council Housing. There’s a lot of age variations within my community from the very young to the very old. As it is a multicultural community there are a lot of different religions with in this area, from Christian, Catholic, Muslim, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc and have noticed different worship places locally. I view myself as an upstanding citizen within our community, i am not racist and help out when i can. I am easy going and always willing to lend a hand when i can. The community i live in is very helpful and i think that with all these different cultures , we have all learned to live together.
3. Explain how the variations