Active and Passive voice
Grammar: Active and Passive voice
The formula of active voice is a common structure of a sentence; it should consist of subject, verb and object. If we want to change the structure into passive voice, we should change some of the elements in the sentence. The formula both of the voices are shown below:
S + V + O + adjective/adverb
Examples of the sentences
1. Agus gives Rany a present in her birthday.
2. They punched the thief yesterday.
3. You wrote application letter for our company. 4. Andy kicks the ball.
S + to be + VIII + by + O + Adjective/adverb
Examples of the sentences
1. The ball is kicked by Andy.
2. Rany is given a present in her birthday by Agus. 3. The thief was punched by them yesterday.
4. Application letter was written by me for your company. In passive voice, there is also positive, negative and interrogative form of the sentence. The form is like the common formula. The example as follow:
1. The boy is accompanied by his family.
1. Is the boy accompanied by his family?
2. The tiger is killed by the hunter.
2. Is the tiger killed by the hunter?
3. They are leaved by the teacher.
3. Are they leaved by the teacher?
4. We are cheated by the officer.
4. Are the cheated by the officer?
5. The garden is cleaned by Lisa.
5. Is the garden cleaned by Lisa?
Who – question
1. The boy is not accompanied by his family.
1.Who is accompanied the boy?
2. The tiger is not killed by the hunter.
2. Who is killed the tiger?
3. They are not leaved by the teacher.
3. Who are leaved by the teacher?
4. We are not cheated by the officer.
4. Who are the cheated to us?
5. The garden is not cleaned by Lisa.
5. Who is cleaned the garden?
Am / are / is + Past participle (VIII)
Am / are / is being + Pas participle (VIII)
Was / were + Past participle (VIII)
Was / were being + Past participle (VIII)
Have / has been + Past participle (VIII)
Had been + Past participle (VIII)
Will be + Past participle (VIII)
Will have been + Past participle (VIII)
Going to future
Am / are / is going to be + Past participle (VIII
umus dan Contoh Kalimat Passive Voice in Simple Past Tense
Soal Simple Past Tense
Pages: 1 2 3
Rumus Passive Voice in Simple Past Tense
Passive voice dalam simple past tense dibentuk oleh auxiliary verb was/were dan past participle. Subject pada passive voice merupakan object pada active voice dengan was untuk subject tunggal, sedangkan were untuk subject jamak. Adapun agent pada passive voice merupakan subject pada active voice. Berikut rumus passive voice dalam simple past tense:
S + verb-2 + direct object
S (direct object) + was/were + past participle +/- by … (agent) Rumus di atas berlaku untuk transitive verb. Bagaimana dengan intransitive verb? Kalimat dengan intransitive verb mungkin dapat dipasifkan jika memiliki prepositional phrase (lihat: Passive Voice pada Intransitive Verb). Subject pada passive voice merupakan object of preposition pada active voice. Active Voice
S + verb-2int + preposition + object of preposition
S (object of preposition) + was/were + past participle + preposition +/- by … (agent) Contoh Kalimat Passive Voice in Simple Past Tense
Beberapa contoh kalimat passive voice dalam simple past tense adalah sebagai berikut. No.
Sunmark Press printed the first book in 2005.
(Sunmark Press mencetak buku pertama tersebut pada tahun 2005.) The first book was printed in 2005 by Sunmark Press.
(Buku pertama tersebut dicetak pada tahun 2005 oleh Sunmark Press.) 2
Someone left the letter when he was...
References: 1. Simple Present Tense. http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/tenses/simple_past.htm. Accessed on February 21, 2013.
2. The Passive Voice. http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/passive.htm. Accessed on January 26, 2014.
3. Active/Passive Voice. http://www.towson.edu/ows/activepass.htm. Accessed on February 12, 2014.
4. Levin, Beth. (1993). English Verb Classes and Alternations: A Preliminary Investigation. London:The University of Chicago Press, Ltd.
5. Intransitive Verb. http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Intransitive_verb.html. Accessed on February 12, 2014.
bu wilma mint tlong ap judl buku(pdf) tentang compound adjective,kbetulan saya lg garap skripsi tntg itu,atw ada info terkait tlong sms ke (0856********) atw ke alamat email saya.trimkasih bu
Please join StudyMode to read the full document