b) Plan of the research
II) The importance of employee motivation to increase productivity and stronger customer relationship
III) Motivation Theories
a) Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs
b) McClelland’s achievement Theory
c) Herberg’s Hygiene Theory of Motivation
d) Vroom’s Expectancy Theory
According to Sims (2002), motivation is the process of satisfying internal needs through actions and behaviors. It is concerned with a composite of mental and physical drives, combined with the environment that makes people behave the way they do. According to Adair (2004), motivation is about something within you impelling you to move forwards, to achieve a goal, to make progress in a task. The ‘something’ is the driving force may be a need, or desire, or an emotion but it leads you to act in a certain way. Signs of motivation in a person are an energy and determination to achieve. This paper presents an in-depth analysis of motivation as applied to organizations. Employee motivation is an important topic for organizations and for Human Resource Managers.
b) Plan of the research
In this paper, I will begin by discussing the importance of employee motivation to increase productivity and stronger customer relationship and second, I will present different motivation theories and discuss them.
III) The importance of employee motivation to increase productivity and stronger customer relationship Motivation is a very important for an organization because of the following benefits it provides: - Puts human resources into action
Every concern requires physical, financial and human resources to accomplish the goals. It is through motivation that the human resources can be utilized by making full use of it. This can be done by building willingness in employees to work. This will help the enterprise in securing best possible utilization of resources.
- Improves level of efficiency of employees
The level of a subordinate or a employee does not only depend upon his qualifications and abilities. For getting best of his work performance, the gap between ability and willingness has to be filled which helps in improving the level of performance of subordinates. This will result into:
- Increase in productivity,
- Reducing cost of operations, and
- Improving overall efficiency.
- Leads to achievement of organizational goals
The goals of an enterprise can be achieved only when the following factors take place :
- There is best possible utilization of resources,
- There is a co-operative work environment,
- The employees are goal-directed
- Goals can be achieved if co-ordination and co-operation takes placesimultaneously which can be effectively done through motivation.
-Builds friendly relationship
Motivation is an important factor which brings employees satisfaction. This can be done by keeping into mind and framing an incentive plan for the benefit of the employees. This could initiate the following things:
- Monetary and non-monetary incentives,
- Promotion opportunities for employees,
- Disincentives for inefficient employees.
In order to build a cordial, friendly atmosphere in a concern, the above steps should be taken by a manager. This would help in:
- Effective co-operation which brings stability,
- Industrial dispute and unrest in employees will reduce,
- The employees will be adaptable to the changes and there will be no resistance to the change,
- This will help in providing a smooth and sound concern in which individual interests will coincide with the organizational interests,
- This will result in profit maximization through increased productivity.
- Leads to stability of work force
Stability of workforce is very important from the point of view of...