Section 1 – Understand how to make and receive telephone calls
1. Complete the table below with descriptions of at least two different features of a telephone system and how / when they would be used.
Feature| How / when used|
1. Answer phone| This is usually accessed by pressing the number 1. It enables you to access messages left to you by others| 2. Conference calls | This makes it possible to speak to more than one person simultaneously.| 3. Do not disturb| This blocks calls to an extension or particular telephone line until the block is removed. Blocks are usually activated and deactivated by pressing a number of keys on the phone's keypad.| 4. Transfer| This enables you to transfer a caller to another extension.|
2. Prepare a brief report advising people on:
* How to follow organisational procedures when making and receiving telephone calls * The purpose of giving a positive image of yourself and your organisation when making and receiving telephone calls.
If possible, use specific information from procedures in your own organisation (or one that you are familiar with).
1. Identify the purpose of the call
2. Confirm the name and number of the person to be contacted 3. Make contact with the person
4. Communicate information to achieve the purpose of the call 5. Project a positive image of myself and my company
1. Answer the phone according to my organisation’s procedures 2. Project a positive image of myself and my company
3. Identify the caller, where they are calling from and what they need 4. Provide accurate and up-to-date information whilst protecting confidentiality and security 5.Transfer calls where requested
6.Take messages according to the caller’s needs
It is important to give a positive image of myself and my organization when making and receiving telephone calls . If I present in a negative manner then the customers would not like to talk with me and wouldn’t have nothing to do with my organization. It can affect company business.
Section 2 – Understand how to handle mail
1. Explain the purpose of correctly receiving, checking and sorting mail and packages (both incoming and outgoing).
Professional handling of mails is very important for an organisation. Improper handling of mails could result in lost customers, lost money and inefficient business. This can be due to loss of vital documents, delays in mails, delivery to wrong person, inefficient service delivery, payment being lost etc. It is important to follow the correct procedures for receiving, checking and sorting incoming and outgoing mail or packages. If a mistake is made then someone may be waiting on the arrival of an important document and it may go to the wrong person, or even go missing completely. People who are responsible for mail always should ensure that mail and packages are directed to the appropriate person. They should make sure that mails are delivered to correct person as soon as possible. This is very important in business environment.
2. Complete the table below with the following information:
* At least two examples of internal mail services that are available to organisations * At least two examples of external mail services that are available to organisations
Internal mail services| External mail services|
1. Envelopes - Internal mail is often sent in unsealed, A4-size envelopes .If the mail is confidential, the envelope will be sealed and marked with a confidential label.| 1. Royal Mail - is the best known external mail service| 2. Intranet- it can be used to circulate internal mail electronically| 2. DHL -is a leading courier in the UK and around the world|
3. Describe two methods that you can use to calculate postage charges for mail and / or packages.
Before sending a postages we need to classify them according to the importance and...