(A Case Study of Road Network of Main CBD Area Hyderabad)
WAQAR AHMED 10 MCRP 06
IRFAN AHMED MEMON
DEPARTMENT OF CITY AND REGIONAL PLANNING
MEHRAN UNIVERSITY OF ENGINEERING AND
Traffic management is the term used to describe the study of the needs of all users of the transport system and provision of better facilities within the constraints of cost and road space. In Hyderabad, the traffic flow conditions in the city are more serious due to the presence of narrow roads, heavy road traffic volumes, roadside encroachments, frequent and unchecked on-street parking, high percentage of trip attraction in the CBD area due to major commercial activities and presence of incompatible land uses, poor physical and geometric condition of the roads network and above all, lack of proper enforcement. Traffic management will be enabling to reduce these short comings to be redressed and road capacities increased. Traffic circulation in a major city like Hyderabad can only be improved if; little attention has been paid to Traffic Management. 2. IDENTIFICATION OF PROBLEM
Problems in Hyderabad related with traffic management due to congestion in CBD area, And congestion is basically due to the presence of narrow roads, heavy road traffic volumes, road side encroachments, frequent and on-street parking, high percentage of trip attraction in the CBD area due to major commercial activities, poor physical and geometric conditions of the roads, and intersections and lack of proper enforcement.
3. OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
* To establish a one-way system on several parallel roads. * To install a fixed signal at one of the most critical intersections of the CBD area and traffic signs in the whole CBD area. * To provide land marking on all major roads in and around the CBD area. * The most important objectives are to remove encroachments and improve the turning radii of most critical junctions. * To remove encroachments from pedestrian ways/foot paths to improve efficiency of footways in CBD area. * To establish traffic islands on the roads for the channelization of traffic. * To provide the street furniture for improvement and beautification of road network of Hyderabad, which include;
1. To provide a proper pedestrian ways.
2. To provide proper/sufficient road lighting.
3. To provide road side plantation.
4. To provide dustbins/solid waste bins wherever necessary. 5. To provide sign boards for people’s convenience with proper placement. 6. To provide proper placement of advertisement boards especially in CBD area. * To remove/reduce bottle necks.
* To provide proper parking facilities in CBD area.
4. SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The traffic problem in study area has developed mainly in response to the rapid growth in the number of on-road vehicles in Hyderabad. Traffic congestion and parking are acute problems in CBD area. Therefore after the observation of the magnitude and complexity of traffic problems in the study area. It is necessary to advice a management strategy which should result in a more balanced use of available road space with in the network and thus reduce congestion at critical locations and provide other improvements for the road users within the existing network. The proposed management techniques encompass all road users, from private car to pedestrian, with the objective of achieving of more efficient sharing of available facilities to the overall benefit of all groups. Although the objectives were to bring benefit to the whole range of road users, the only means by which this could be attempted, within the scope of this study, was “Traffic Management”.
5. DATA COLLECTION AND ANALYSIS
5.1 PEDESTRIAN CROSS-WALK COMMPITITION
Please join StudyMode to read the full document