R.A. 1425 - Rizal Law
*Students are required to study Rizal’s life, works, and writings in all public and private high schools, colleges, and universities.
R.A. 1425 | Noli-Fili Bill |
* Legislated Course * Life, works and writings of Rizal must be studied. * Students in all public and private high schools, colleges, and universities are required to read. * Required to read unexpurgated versions of the Noli and El Fili * Students can be exempted from reading the unexpurgated versions of the novels but they cannot be exempted from taking the course. | * Also called the ‘Recto Bill’ * Jose P. Laurel – chair, committee on Educ-Senate * Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo |
Objectives of the Rizal Law:
1. Reawaken sense of nationalism – love of country and independence
2. Open eyes of Filipinos – colonial mentality – Americanized Filipinos
3. By studying Rizal, students would feel proud of their nationality and history
*The Rizal Law that passed congress in 1956 was just a substitute bill.
*The original bill, Noli-Fili Bill, was authored by Claro M. Recto.
Noli Fili Bill
* Senate Bill no. 438 authored by Jose P. Laurel.
* House Bill no. 5561 authored by Cong. Jacobo Gonzales (only a photocopy of the senate bill no. 438)
*The Rizal Law was passed during the period of Nationalist Reawaking – Teodoro Agoncillo.
*Main proponents of the Noli-Fili Bill: Rector and Laurel.
*The Rizal Law is just an amended version of the Noli-Fili bill.
* House of Representatives and Senate -> First Reading (will be read in the plenary where it will be delegated by a specific committee) & Second Reading (will be read again in the plenary with amendments) & Third Reading & Bicameral Conference Committee -> Approval or Veto of the President.
*Veto means rejection.
* When a bill is signed by the President, it’ll then be a Republic Act.... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 04). Rizal Law Lecture. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 04, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Rizal-Law-Lecture-650889.html
"Rizal Law Lecture" StudyMode.com. 04 2011. 2011. 04 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Rizal-Law-Lecture-650889.html>.
- MLA 7
"Rizal Law Lecture." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 04 2011. Web. 04 2011. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Rizal-Law-Lecture-650889.html>.
"Rizal Law Lecture." StudyMode.com. 04, 2011. Accessed 04, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Rizal-Law-Lecture-650889.html.