Narrative Report

Only available on StudyMode
  • Download(s) : 199
  • Published : February 12, 2013
Open Document
Text Preview
2009 Annual Survey of Philippine Business and Industry (ASPBI) - Hotels and Restaurants for All Establishments : Final Results Reference Number: 
2012-677
Release Date: 
Saturday, February 4, 2012

 
  Number of Establishments

Final results of the 2009 Annual Survey of Philippine Business and Industry (ASPBI) conducted nationwide recorded a total of 14,998 Hotel and Restaurant establishments in the Philippines. As shown in Figure 1, Restaurants, bars, canteens and other drinking and eating places garnered the highest number of establishments at 13,348 or 89.0 percent. Hotels, camping sites and other provisions of short-stay accommodation comprised the remaining number of establishments with 1,650 or 11.0 percent.

Employment
 
Employment in this sector in 2009 numbered 290,672. Of the total employment, 283,171 or 97.4 percent were paid employees and the rest, 7,501 or 2.6 percent, were working owners and unpaid workers. Figure 2 shows that Restaurants, bars, canteens and other drinking places had the most number of employees with 234,413 or 80.6 percent of total employment while establishments engaged in Hotels, camping sites and other provisions of short stay accommodation had 56,259 or 19.4 percent.

 
The average number of workers per establishment was 19. Hotels, camping sites and other provisions of short-stay accommodation had 34 compared to Restaurants, bars, canteens and other eating and drinking places with only 18 average number of workers per establishment. Compensation

Total compensation paid by Hotels and restaurants amounted to PHP31,197.7 million, equivalent to PHP110,173 average annual compensation per employee. By industry group, Restaurants, bars, canteens and other eating and drinking places paid the highest compensation to its employees amounting to PHP22,034.5 million or 70.6 percent of the total compensation higher than those paid by Hotels, camping sites and other provisions of short-stay accommodation at PHP9,163.3 million or 29.4 percent of the total. Average annual compensation for Hotels, camping sites and other provisions of short-stay accommodation was PHP168,254 compared to that of Restaurants, bars, canteens and other eating and drinking places at PHP96,342.

Revenue

Revenue earned in 2009 for Hotels and Restaurants sector reached PHP207,798.7 million. Restaurants, bars, canteens and other eating and drinking places were the top contributor with PHP163,852.8 million comprised 78.9 percent of the total revenue. Hotels, camping sites and other provisions of short-stay accommodation generated PHP43,945.9 million or 21.1 percent of the total.

Cost
Cost for operating the sector summed up to PHP157,544.4 million. Restaurants, bars, canteens and other eating and drinking places incurred the highest cost with PHP125,679.6 million (79.8 %) of the total cost. Hotels, camping sites and other provisions of short-stay accommodation spent PHP31,864.8 million or 20.2 percent of the total cost. Distribution of revenue and cost by industry group is shown in Figure 4.

Revenue per Cost
Revenue per cost ratio, or the revenue generated per one peso cost, for this sector amounted to PHP1.32. Hotels, camping sites and other provisions of short-stay accommodation obtained a PHP1.38 revenue per peso cost. On the other hand, Restaurants, bars, canteens and other eating and drinking places registered a slightly lower revenue per peso cost of PHP1.30. Value Added

Value added for Hotels and restaurants sector was estimated at PHP65,165.0 million. Value added for Restaurants, bars, canteens and other eating and drinking places was recorded at PHP46,201.3 million or 70.9 percent of the value added for the sector, while those of Hotels, camping sites and other provisions of short-stay accommodation was PHP18,963.7 million or 29.1 percent. Labor Productivity

Value added per worker a measure of labor productivity, was valued at an average of PHP224,187 per worker for the whole sector. For this...
tracking img