Student Name: Ameena Khizar Hayat Khan
Student ID: bc120201597
Scenario: Gender discrimination in agricultural activities
Pakistan is an agricultural country. Its economy is based on agriculture that contributes about 25 % to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP). Agriculture is the main sector of employment where total employed labor force is 44.8 %. Males involved in labor force in agricultural sector are 38.4% and women labor force is 69.9% which is highest as compared to other sectors. Almost 65.9 % of Pakistan’s population is living in rural areas that are directly and indirectly rely on agriculture for their livelihood. It is generally accepted that over 50% of the world's population is women and their participation is indispensable to address the imperative issues of new era. In this regard, they also face a lot of challenges. Women in Pakistan has no exception in this context, women in the rural areas of Pakistan are facing a number of challenges ranging from lack of access to education and resources, property rights, skill development to gender discrimination in the labor markets.
Therefore this assignment is planned with the objectives:
• To analyze the factor influencing women participation in agriculture activities. • To determine the involvement and decision making power of the rural women in the agricultural activities
• to identify various problems faced by women in performing agriculture activities. Activity:
In order to measure the given objectives, you are supposed to visit any nearest village and perform the following activity by asking questions from 3 women participating in agriculture sector:
1. What kind of activities you perform usually in agriculture (production, harvesting, supporting activity (which type of support) or any other) 2. How do you participate in agricultural activities (directly or indirectly, probe to get details)?
3. Do you think that your efforts are properly recognized by your house members and people around? (Ask in details)
4. Highlight various problems which you may face in performing agriculture activities in your area (need a women perspective).
After getting the required information, you are supposed to prepare a report consist of:
• Introduction (village name, number of women interviewed, age of women, activities they performed in agriculture sector) (4)
• Questions analysis (15)
• Conclusion and recommendation (6)
My entire maternal family lives in a village “Chak” 290 GB, Rijanna near Tauba Teik SIngh.SO I went there and enquired women about the assignment. The land here mostly is cultivatable. The economy of the area usually depends on agriculture. When I went there I saw few women in the fields helping men in watering the seeded crop. The people there were very supportive and they gave me freedom to ask questions from there women very easily. In fact, they were very happy and showed so much of the hospitality as well. I gathered around 7 women ready to answer my questions but 4 of them were even unable to understand URDU and it was tough hard for me to communicate in Punjabi at least. I interviewed three lovely women there namely Zubaida Aunty, Sofia aunty and Shahida aunty aging 32, 28 and 35 respectively. All these women do the household work as well as support their husbands in fields. I probed them in detail about all the activities which the answered very generously and fairly. The detailed analysis of the questions and their answers is given below. Question analysis:
I asked all the questions separately from them and I shall write them in their language. Answers of Zubaida:
Me: What kind of activities you perform usually in agriculture (production, harvesting, supporting activity (which type of support) or any other)? Zubaida: I help in sowing the seed of the season and harvesting season as well. I perform all the house hold as well. I prepare meals and take them to the fields. I run my own...