Theme: “An Incredible Journey”
This is a personal story describing a “journey” which you have experienced. The “journey” may be real or figurative. In either case, you are to write an account of a particular incident or encounter in your life that in one way or another illustrates a stage of growing up (at any age) or of personal development. You may focus on one specific experience or on a sequence of specific experiences. __________________________________________________
1. The story you tell should be interesting. While a simple vacation to Florida may have been fun and interesting to you, think about whether it will be to your reader. Choose a topic that includes lots of sensory impressions so that you have lots to describe.
2. Begin with an innovation (freewriting) experience to initiate the writing process.
3. Write a thesis statement. One sentence only! In this essay you should have a clear purpose. What story are you telling, and why are you telling it?
4. Make an outline of the basic story you want to tell. Obviously, you need a beginning, middle and end. Having an outline of the story will keep the essay organized and help keep you on track in telling the story. This is a 5-paragraph essay. Follow the basic outline template.
5. Write a clear introduction (paragraph 1) that tells the reader what story will follow. Include the purpose in the introduction. The introduction should hook the readers and make them want to read the story. For this type of essay, you might use a catchy opening line that is linked to your story. Your introduction should end with your thesis statement.
6. Tell the complete story in the body (paragraphs 2-4). Clearly tell the story that you have mentioned in the purpose. Organize the body chronologically. Because you are telling a story, you obviously want to tell it in order. Choosing a different organizational method may be confusing to...