MBA – 2nd Semester
Management Information System
MB0047 – Set 1
Q1. What is MIS? Define the characteristics of MIS? What are the basic Functions of MIS? Give some Disadvantage of MIS?
MIS systems are extensively used in generating statistical report of any organization which can be used to study management by behavior. They set objectives to their employees using ratio analysis. Management also uses MIS for decision making from the low level management to top level management. In order to perform task using Information systems use of technical support is required. So it is the combination of 3 components i.e. organization, technology and management.
* It supports transaction handling and record keeping.
* It is also called as integrated database Management System which supports in major functional areas. * It provides operational, tactical, and strategic level managers with east access to timely but, for the most, structured information. * It supports decision –making function which is a vital role of MIS. * It is flexible which is needed to adapt to the changing needs of the organization. * It promotes security system by providing only access to authorized users. * MIS not only provides statistical and data analysis but also works on the basis on MBO (management by objectives). MIS is successfully used for measuring performance and making necessary change in the organizational plans and procedures. It helps to build relevant and measurable objectives, monitor results, and send alerts.
Basic Function of MIS
The main functions of MIS are:
* Data Processing: Gathering, storage, transmission, processing and getting output of the data. Making the data into information is a major task. * Prediction: Prediction is based on the historical data by applying the prior knowledge methodology by using modern mathematics, statistics or simulation. Prior knowledge varies on the application and with different departments. * Planning: Planning reports are produced based on the enterprise restriction on the companies and helps in planning each functional department to work reasonably. * Control: MIS helps in monitoring the operations and inspects the plans. It consists of differences between operation and plan with respect to data belonging to different functional department. It controls the timely action of the plans and analyzes the reasons for the differences between the operations and plan. Thereby helps managers to accomplish their decision making task successfully. * Assistance: It stores the related problems and frequently used information to apply them for relative economic benefits. Through this it can derive instant answers of the related problem.
Disadvantages of MIS
The following are some of the disadvantages of MIS:
* MIS is highly sensitive: MIS is very helpful in maintaining logging information of an authorized user. This needs to monitor constantly. * Quality of outputs is governed by quality of inputs.
* MIS budgeting: There is difficulty in maintaining indirect cost and overheads. Capturing the actual cost needs to have an accrual system having true costs of outputs which is extremely difficult. It has been difficult to establish definite findings. * MIS is not flexible to update itself for the changes.
* The changes in the decision of top level management decrease its effectiveness. * Information accountability is based on the qualitative factors and the factors like morality, confidence or attitude will not have any base.
2. Explain Knowledge based system? Explain DSS and OLAP with example?
Knowledge Based System (KBS)
KBS are the systems based on knowledge base. Knowledge base is the database maintained for knowledge management...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document