University of Phoenix, Axia College
[ November 21, 2010 ]
Week 9 Final Ken Kronemeyer
1. Final Project: Web Site Analysis
* Analyze the Web site you selected for the Capstone Discussion question. * Use on your knowledge gained from the past 9 weeks.
* Evaluate the current design of the site.
* Identify recommendations for redesign.
The web site chosen for this project is the Belleville News-Democrat Newspaper web site from Belleville, Illinois. It is the hometown newspaper of this papers author. The site URL is http://www.bnd.com/ . It’s Problems
1. The first thing that happens when you enter this site is a pop-up. As a viewer of many websites, I have found this to be a real turn-off to continuing visits to a web site, as it is not very welcoming and is a distraction to the purpose of my visit. 2. News/Sports/Life/Opinions Page: Confusing hodgepodge of boxes and information and that is the same template on all major pages. (Fig. 1) 3. What would normally be the classifieds section of a newspaper is replaced with outsourced functions. For instance the Auto’s section is sourced to Cars.com instead of the actual newspaper ads, the Jobs section is sourced to CareerBuilder.com etc. (Fig 2) 4. The only real page that is uncluttered and straightforward is the “Services” page which is all about the services provided by the newspaper – payment, subscriptions etc. (Fig3) 5. Navigation is straightforward if one does not stray from the Navigation Bar at the top or goes all the way to the bottom of the screen to the sitemap. (Fig 4) 6. None of the newspapers special features are available either such as the Sunday Parade Magazine or even the daily comics. Nor are the sale ad inserts that many could use. If one wants the inserts, one has to buy the print edition.
Fig 1| Fig 2| Fig 3|