India is a country in South Asia. It is the Seventh-Largest country by area and second-largest by
population with over 1.2 billion people and most populous democracy in the world. Home to the Indus
Valley Civilization and a region of historic trade routes and vast empires. Four major world religions,
Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism originated there, while Zoroastrianism, Judaism,
Christianity and Islam arrived in the first millennium CE and shaped the region's diverse culture.
Agriculture is not only the dominant occupations of the people of India but is also one of the most
important economic sectors for the country. Bounded by the Indian Ocean on the south, the Arabian
Sea on the south-west, and the Bay of Bengal on the south-east, it shares land borders with Pakistan to
the west;China, Nepal, and Bhutan to the north-east; and Burma and Bangladesh to the east. In the
Indian Ocean, India is in the vicinity of Sri Lanka and the Maldives; in addition, India's Andaman and
Nicobar Islands share a maritime border with Thailand and Indonesia. India became an independent
nation in 1947 after a struggle for independence that was marked by non-violent resistance led by
Interesting Facts about India
• India never invaded any country in her last 100000 years of history.
• When many cultures were only nomadic forest dwellers over 5000 years ago, Indians established
Harappan culture in Indus Valley Civilization.
• The name 'India' is derived from the River Indus, the valleys around which were the home of the
• Chess was invented in India.
• Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus are studies, which originated in India.
• The 'Place Value System' and the 'Decimal System' were developed in India in 100 B.C.
• The World's First Granite Temple is the Brihadeswara Temple at Tanjavur, Tamil Nadu. The shikhara
of the temple is made from a single 80-tonne piece of granite. This magnificent temple was built in just... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 12). India. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 12, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/India-1333248.html
"India" StudyMode.com. 12 2012. 2012. 12 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/India-1333248.html>.
- MLA 7
"India." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 12 2012. Web. 12 2012. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/India-1333248.html>.
"India." StudyMode.com. 12, 2012. Accessed 12, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/India-1333248.html.