1. Between the year 2000 and 2100, the proportion of the U.S. population that is Black, Hispanic, Asian, and Native American will likely
c. stay the same.
2. When belief in the inheritance of behavior patterns is coupled with the feeling that certain groups are inherently superior to others it is called
d. racial formation.
3. The hierarchical system for possession of wealth, prestige, or power is called a. ethnic groups.
4. Assimilation tends to take longer under which of the following conditions? a. The minority group maintains its own culture.
b. The minority group residents are dispersed.
c. The homeland of the immigrants is far away and inaccessible. d. The minority group arrives over an extended period of time.
5. The development of solidarity among ethnic subgroups is called a. pluralism.
6. Ethnocentrism is
a. the belief that each culture is equally valid.
b. the basis for all discriminatory behavior.
c. rare in diverse societies.
d. the tendency to assume that one’s culture is superior to all others.
7. Hate crimes are criminal offenses committed because of the offender’s bias against a a. race or ethnic group.
b. religion group.
c. sexual orientation group.
d. any of these
8. A negative attitude toward an entire category of people is known as a. prejudice.
9. The process of denying certain opportunities and equal rights or privileges to individuals and groups is known as
10. A group that is blamed irrationally for society’s problems or difficulties is known as a a. contact.
11. Stereotypes are generalizations about all members of a group that a. are unreliable.
b. are exaggerated.
c. do not take individual differences into account.
d. all of these
12. Any police-initiated action based on race, ethnicity, or national origin rather than behavior is called a. stereotyping.
c. racial profiling.
d. driving while black (DWB).
13. The denial of opportunities and equal rights to individuals and groups which results from the normal operations of a society is known as
b. the contact hypothesis.
c. the definition of a situation.
d. institutional discrimination.
14. Transfers of money, goods, or services that are not reported to the government and are common in inner-city neighborhoods and poverty-stricken neighborhoods and poverty-stricken rural areas is known as the
a. casual economy.
b. informal economy.
c. unceremonious economy.
d. comfortable economy.
15. As of 2003, which of the following groups had the lowest median income? a. Hispanic females
b. Black males
c. White females
d. Black females
16. The 1964 Civil Rights Act led to the establishment of the a. Glass Ceiling Commission.
b. Fair Employment Practices Commission (FEPC).
c. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
d. Affirmative Action Board.
17. Minorities are discriminated against by redlining when
a. police practice racial profiling.