Multiple Choice: Highlight or Bold the correct answer to each question.
1.Between the year 2010 and 2050, the proportion of the U.S. population that is Black, Hispanic, Asian, and Native American will likely a.triple.
c.stay the same.
d.increase from 36% to 54%.
2.Which term is used to describe a group that is set apart from others primarily because of its national origin or distinctive cultural patterns? a.social group
3.Which term is used by sociologists to describe a group that is set apart from others because of obvious physical differences? a.social group
4.Who was the first African American to earn a doctorate from Harvard? a.James Blackwell
c.W.E.B. Du Bois
d.William J. Wilson
5.A sociological approach introduced by Howard Becker that attempts to explain why certain people are viewed as deviants and others engaging in the same behavior are not refers to a.contact hypothesis.
6.In sociology, minority refers to the
7.The tendency to assume that one’s culture & way of life are superior to all others is known as a.cultural relativism.
a.a negative attitude, not behavior.
b.aimed at individuals, not groups.
c.negative behavior, not an attitude.
d.based on accurate definitions.
9. The process by which an individual gives up his or her own cultural tradition to become part of a different culture is known as a.amalgamation.
10. Pluralism refers to the existence of
a.one homogeneous culture.
c.diverse cultures co-existing in the same society.
11. Stereotypes are generalizations about all members of a group that a. are unreliable.
b. are exaggerated.
c. do not take individual differences into account.
d. all of these
12. Federal guidelines bar federal agents from using race and ethnicity as a reason for investigating someone, but cases involving __________ are exempted. a. terrorism
c. national economic interests
d. military personnel
13.When White respondents are asked how Whites get along with different minority groups, which group do they say they have the most difficulty getting along with? a.African Americans
14. When Black respondents are asked how they get along with different minority groups, which group do they say they have the least difficulty getting along with? a.Whites
15.Which of the following states that interracial interaction between people with equal status in cooperative circumstances will cause them to become less prejudiced and to abandon previously held stereotypes? a.the contact hypothesis
b.the self-fulfilling prophecy
c.the anomie theory of deviance
d.the exploitation theory of race relations
16.Studies document that increased formal education, regardless of content, is associated with: a.increased prejudice.
17.The denial of opportunities and equal rights to individuals and groups for prejudices or other arbitrary reasons is a.prejudice.
18. Conforming to a belief that language and practices which could offend...