The majority of my results produced the expected bell curve on my graph. However, I believe due to human error the results were incorrect between temperatures of 60Ëšc and 80Ëšc causing this area of my graph not to follow the pattern of my initial prediction. I have also noticed that the highest rate is at a slightly higher temperature than I expected, though this may be due to the large difference in temperature between each sample. As the temperature was increases the molecules were given more energy and move around in the solution quicker increasing the chances of collision, speeding up the brake down of starch. I had found that where the temperature was above 40Ëšc the enzyme did not work as efficiently, even with the extra energy, as they had become deformed. Where the enzyme does not work so well or does not even work at all the active site if the enzyme had changed. The enzyme had not died as it is not a living organism. With the shape of the active site changed the enzyme is unable to perform the "lock and key" action the enzyme is meant to do in order to catalyse a reaction. The specified enzyme is shaped to "lock" on to the substrate. Where the enzyme contacts the substrate is called the active site. When the enzyme becomes denatured the shape of the active site has changed and the enzyme is no longer as efficient. The enzyme can become so deformed that the protein molecule begins to unravel making the enzyme completely useless.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document