Clp1006 Notes

Topics: Active listening, Psychology, Anger Pages: 4 (1375 words) Published: December 14, 2012
CHAPTER 8 – Managing Yourself for Accomplishment

Vocabulary Words
1. Pareto Principle (80/20 Rule): The Pareto principle is a principle that teaches that 80% of the benefit comes from doing the 20% of the work. Figure out the most important and beneficial 20% and make that your priority to tackle first. Completing the important 20% often expedites or simplifies completion of the remaining 80% of the work. 2. Premack Principle: The principle states that if two behaviors differ in their likelihood of occurrence, the less likely behavior can be reinforced by using the more likely behavior as a reward. In layman’s terms, this strategy capitalizes on the fact that any enjoyable activity can be used as a reward or incentives for working on a task you tend to pull off. 3. Procrastination: When important tasks or responsibilities are left undone or are completed in a slipshod manner because inadequate time was left to complete the task properly. 4. Low Frustration Toleration: The main and most direct cause for procrastination. 5. Power Nap: Shutting your eyes for five to ten minutes. 6. Self-Control: The ability to defer gratification

7. Accomplishment: Attainment of success is often pursed by individuals for its own sake. 8. Retroactive Interference: When new learning interferes with previous learning. 9. Proactive Interference: When old learning inhibits retention of new material. 10. SQ3R: A study strategy consisting of the following: Survey, Question, Read, Recite, Review. 11. Defer Gratification: The ability to wait for your rewards, to delay gratification. 12. Test Anxiety: a combination of perceived physiological overarousal, feelings of worry and dread, self-depreciating thoughts, tension, and somatic symptoms that occur during test situations. 13. Mnemonics: Helpful techniques particularly for remembering strings or lists of information. These systems work by making material more meaningful by adding a...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Journal on Note Taking Essay
  • Essay about Taking Notes in College
  • Note taking Essay
  • Quotation and Research Notes Essay
  • Research Memo on How to Write Thank You Notes Essay
  • Essay on Mass Notes
  • Note Making Skills Essay
  • Note Taking Methods Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free