1. A serving of two cookies has 150 kcal and 12 grams of fat. What percentage of total calories is fat?
Divide fat calories by the kilocalories
Fat – 9 kcal
12g x 9kcal= 108 kcal
108kcal / 150 kcal = .72
.72 x 100 = 72% total calories from fat
2. How many grams of protein are in a 2400kcal diet with 15% of total kcal from protein?
Grams / total kcal = total percentage of kcal from the protein Protein – 4kcal
X / 2400kcal = .15 (15%)
2400kcal x .15 = 360
360 / 4kcal= 90 gm of protein
3. A 1500 kcal diet is 65% carbohydrate. How many kcal come from CHO? How many grams of CHO?
1500kcal = 65% carbohydrate
Carbohydrate = 4kcal
Formula for kcal
Kcal / 1500kcal = 65 % of carbohydrates
X / 1500kcal = .65 (65%)
.65 x 1500 kcal = 975 kcal com from CHO
Formula for grams
Grams of carbohydrates x 4kcal / g = 975 kcal from CHO
975 kcal / 4kcal/g = 243.75 gm of CHO
4. Calculate the grams of fat in a food containing 240 kcal that has 35% of kcal from fat.
Fat = 4kcal
Grams of fat / 240kcal = .35 (35%)
.35 x 240kcal = 84kcal from fat
X x 9kcal = 84 kcal
84 kcal / 9kcal = 9.33 gm of fat
5. Assume that on a particular day you consume 290grams of carbohydrate, 60g fat, and 70g protein. How many kcal did you consume? Determine the percentage of your total energy intake derived from each nutrient.
Carb = 4kcal
Fat = 9 kcal
Protein = 4kcal
Formula for kcal for Carbohydrates
(290gm x 4kcal) + (60gm x 9kcal) + 70gm x 4kcal) = X
1160kcal + 540kcal + 280kcal = 1980 kcal was consumed
Formula for percentage of Carbohydrates
(1160kcal / 1980kcal) 100 = .59
Please join StudyMode to read the full document