UNIVERSITY OF NAIROBI
SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
DMS 411: BUSINESS RESEARCH METHODS - COURSE OUTLINE
This course (Business research methods) is a fourth year core course, thus it is taught to all students in the school of business, irrespective of their specialization areas. Taking cognizance of the unique content and contextual differences between the various disciplines (specialization areas), a more general approach is used.
This course is designed and intended to give the student a firm grounding in research methodology and therefore appreciate how knowledge is generated, analyzed disseminated and applied (with special reference to business and management).
At the end of the course, the student should be able to:
• Understand the nature of research, research methodologies and its (research) importance in general and to business management. - This will be achieved through relevant material to be presented and discussed during the period of the course. • Successfully plan and execute a Research Project. - It is expected that the learner shall gain sufficient knowledge to be able to execute a research project. Indeed, it is expected that this course sets the background upon which the learners undertake their Management research Paper (MRP) in their respective areas of specialization, with the appropriate guidance from their supervisors.
• Defining Research
• Importance of research
• Sources of research and knowledge
• Types of Research
II. THE SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH METHOD
• Principles/Postulates of Scientific Method
• Research proposal and research report
• Qualities/hallmarks of Scientific Research
III. STUDY BACKGROUND AND PROBLEM FORMULATION
• Problem identification/conceptualization
• Stating research Objectives
• Study hypothesis
IV. LITERATURE REVIEW
• Sources of appropriate literature