Section 1 – Understand how to make and receive telephone calls
1. Complete the table below with descriptions of at least two different features of a telephone system and how / when they would be used.
Feature| How / when used|
1. Answer phone| This is used to leave a message if nobody is there to answer the phone.| 2. Transfer| This lets you pass the call on to another line. |
2. Prepare a brief report advising people on:
* How to follow organisational procedures when making and receiving telephone calls * The purpose of giving a positive image of yourself and your organisation when making and receiving telephone calls.
If possible, use specific information from procedures in your own organisation (or one that you are familiar with).
When making calls you need to know where to locate the correct name and telephone numbers, you should know the purpose of the call and how to use the functions of the telephone. When receiving calls you should know how to use the functions of the telephone in order to deal with the caller effectively, how to take messages and identify the person when transferring the call and passing on information.
The purpose of giving a positive image of yourself and your organisation when making and receiving telephone calls is to ensure to attract and retain customers and to ensure customer satisfaction. From the time you answer the phone you should greet them in a friendly manner and continue to talk friendly throughout and help solve the customer’s requirements.
Section 2 – Understand how to handle mail
1. Explain the purpose of correctly receiving, checking and sorting mail and packages (both incoming and outgoing).
The purpose of correctly checking and sorting incoming mail is to ensure It has arrived to the correct address and to be passed on to the correct person. The purpose of correctly checking and sorting outgoing mail is to ensure it has the correct postage and to ensure its going to the correct destination. If checks wasn’t made then it could cause serious consequences for the business, for example if a customer requested some information on a product or service and it didn’t arrive to the correct destination then the business could lose a potential customer and money could be lost.
2. Complete the table below with the following information:
* At least two examples of internal mail services that are available to organisations * At least two examples of external mail services that are available to organisations
Internal mail services| External mail services|
1. Using secure pouches and envelopes to circulate mail internally| 1. Recorded delivery for example royal mail| 2. Circulate mail electronically| 2.Courier services for example parcel force|
3. Describe two methods that you can use to calculate postage charges for mail and / or packages.
Methods you could use are weighing and measure mail to calculate postage charges or use service provider’s information to check postage charges.
Section 3 – Understand how to use different types of office equipment
1. Describe the main types of equipment found in offices and how they are used. Include examples of at least three different types of office equipment.
Main types of equipment found in offices are computers, printers and photocopiers. Computers are important because they enable you to work quickly and efficiently. Computers can provide a wide range of functions such as word processing, data base creating, accounting, publishing, spreadsheets and most computers are connected to the internet which allows easy communication. Printers are used to produce copies of documents from computer files. Photocopiers are used to make the exact copies of documents, you can make one copy or many copies. They are useful if you need multiple copies of a sales letters to...