IIBM Institute of Business Management
Semester-I Examination Paper MM.100
Fundamentals of Computer
Section A: Objective Type (20 marks)
1. b. 2 types
2. b. 1 or more input signals to produce output
3. d. Both (a) & (c)
4. b. Non-volatile
5. c. Direct-access storage device
6. c. Multiple object program files of any software
7. a. Are geographically distributed
8. b. Way in which the network’s nodes are linked together
9. a. World wide web
10. a. General purpose electronic equipment for homes
Fill in the Blanks:
1. Multimedia applications are multimedia presentation, foreign language learning, multimedia Kiosk and …multimedia books, e books, digital library, video games, animation films & virtual shops…
2. Computer audio deals with synthesizing, recording and …Palying audio…… with a computer.
3. Collating sequence is ordering of symbols in an …encoding…. standard.
4. Binary coded decimal is a …6-Bit… Code.
5. The logic gates are interconnected to form gating or logic networks known as …combinational….. logic circuits.
6. …CPU…. is the brain of a computer system.
7. The term …software…. refers to a collection of programs.
8. Program errors are known as …bugs………
9. Documentation…. is the process of collecting, organizing storing and maintaining a complete historical record of programs.
10. File organization… deals with physical organization of records of a file for convenience of their storage and retrieval.
Section B: Short Questions (20 marks)
1. What is data processing?
Data processing is a series of actions on input that converts the input into useful output. In data processing, input is data and output is the useful information. In consists of three sub activities: Capturing input data, manipulating it and producing output information. People, procedure and devices are required to produce the output from the input data.
2. What is a file management system?
File management system is a set of programs which help the users to organize, create, delete, update and manipulate their files. Its common features are as described below. a. Transaction file: It stores the input data until the application uses it during next processing cycle. b. Master file: It contains all current data relevant to an application. c. Output file: some applications use multiple programs. One program takes the output of another program as input; hence the former program stores the output as an output file. d. Report file: It is a copy of report, generated by application in computer accessible form. e. Backup file: It is a copy of file crated by user or system to avoid loss of data due to corruption or deletion of original file.
3. What is a computer network?
Computer network is a group of computers which are linked to each other via internet. The computers on network can communicate with each other and can share information. Four basic service provided by internet to its users are electronic mail, file transfer protocol, telnet and use net news. The common network types are personal area networks (PANs), local area networks (LANs), metropolitan area network (MANs), campus area networks (CANs) and wide area network (WANs).
4. What is a secondary storage?
The additional memory needed in all computers to overcome the limitations of primary storage (Limited capacity and Volatile) is called secondary storage.it is nonvolatile and has lower cost per bit stored. It operates generally at slower speed than primary storage. Computer system uses it primarily to store large volume of data on permanent basis. Commonly used storage devices are hard disk, CD ROM, DVD, memory card and Pen drive.
Section C: Long Questions (20 marks)...