1. What does the word “processing” in data processing mean?
-From raw data transforming into useful information.
2. Give three examples in which raw data also serves as useful information.
-in payroll, raw data about names is useful to know whose payroll is it.
-in “banking” ATM machine
3. Give three business examples (not mentioned in the text) of data that must be processed to provide useful information -Banking:
4. Give three examples of subsystems not operating in the context of IT. Why are these considered subsystems and not systems?
Because these are not covered of what their system are capable of doing.
-Queuing of customers in an ordering system
-Filling up papers
-Self-service in an ordering system.
5. How do TPSs and DSSs differ?
-TPS is more on Processing transactions, while DSS (more on analysis) is a system that helps or support by giving choices/recommendation on a transaction. 6. What is a problem? Give an example of a business problem and discuss how a computer based information system could solve it.
-Problem is a situation where the organization cannot handled.
Ex. Banking System. Manual saving of records will be a problem later on, so a system could help to collect them and do the calculations in an instant. 7. What is synergy? How is synergy accomplished when a person uses a computer? Explain the connection between synergy and increased productivity.
-Synergy is the combination of human strength and the machine’s ability. Due to synergy the productivity increases while you spend less Labour and effort .8. “An information system consists of hardware and software.” Why is this statement inadequate?
-Because Information System is not only about software and hardware, it should also consist people ware to give information/data to be process. 9. In which situations does one need to make a decision? Give three examples not mentioned in the chapter.
-When there are more than one...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document