Unit 1: Exploring Equality and Diversity
You should use this file to complete your Assessment.
• The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk
• Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly
• When you’ve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference
• Then, go to www.vision2learn.com and send your completed Assessment to your tutor via your My Study area – make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
Please note that this Assessment document has 11 pages and is made up of 5 Parts.
Part 1: Living in a diverse world
1. What is meant by diversity?
Different and varied, being able to have acceptance and respect. It means each individual is unique and recognising our individual differences. It is about understanding each other and having a simple tolerance with each other.
2. Describe the community you live in. Highlight some of the variations you may observe in terms of:
• Personal, social and cultural identities.
We live in a mixed community, we have black and white families, retired couples and young families and we have a disabled home just down the road.
We have a catholic and C of E church and a Jehovah witness centre within a close proximity, we have pubs, clubs, restaurants and they are just renovating our local theatre.
3. Explain how the variations in question 2 contribute to the diversity of the community.
The variations contribute to the diversity of the community by providing experiences, opportunities, products, services, friendships and relationships. It shows us that we are diverse and no two people are the same.
4. Give some examples to explain how diversity:
• Enhances your life
• Enhances the local community
• Enhances this