DIPLOMA IN EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION
ECE1005N PLAY AND LEARNING
ASSIGNMENT 1 (20%)
In pairs, choose one early childhood education setting which integrates play in its daily schedule (i.e. play based).
1. Observe how children play. Do not join in the play as you observe. It is important for you to be objective and get a broad view of play. You should observe at least 1 hour of quality and non-interrupted play time (if possible). You may also break your observation into different sessions (eg. 9 – 9.30am and 11 – 11.30am) or different day and time (e.g. 30 minutes 1 day and 30 minutes for the subsequent day).
2. Record down their play behaviour and speech, or any interesting play behavior (you may use narrative or anecdotal record – include teacher children and children children conversation). Use no children’s actual names. Make up names or use initials.
a. In your writing, state clearly the age and gender of the children and a brief description of the setting(s).
b. Structure the report neatly and in a well-organized manner.
c. Detailed and objective record of what was observed.
3. From what you’ve recorded (in writing and photos)
a. Analyze the characteristics of play and areas of development with deep thoughts (minimum 3 of each).
b. Give appropriate examples from your observation (based on your record writing and photos) to support your arguments.
c. Evaluate and examine the importance of play critically.
4. Write a personal reflection (do individually). You may include what you’ve learned, how you feel, opinions of the setting/teachers, what’s good/strength, what’s bad/weakness, how to improve, etc.
5. Please include theories to support your discussions.
6. Use 1.5 or double line spacing, font 12 Times New Roman and accurate APA format.
7. Proof read for accurate grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structures, etc....
Please join StudyMode to read the full document