06 – Whistleblower, Product Safety vs. Animal Rights
* Whistleblowing is a new label generated by awareness of ethical conflicts encountered at work. They sound an alarm in the organization that threatens public interest * Whistleblowing has high stakes
* Moral conflicts on several levels whether to speak out about abuses or risks or serious neglect * Things to consider? - ARGUMENTS
* Is speaking out in fact in the public interest
* Does speaking out, outweigh the his responsibilities against his colleagues and institution he works for * If 1 and 2 are valid, what about the fear ot the results * Can be threatened to undergo psychiatric fitness test, declared unfit, fired etc, marked as crazy * Like all dissent, whistleblowing makes public a disagreement with an authority or a majority view. * Dissent, breach of loyalty and accusation. Is there ways to find alternatives in-order not to breach these things? * You could be harming something bigger by being a whistle blower * Most important question, whether the existing avenues for change within the organization have been explored * Whistleblowing should be last alternative because of its destructive side affects, only chose when all other things are considered and rejected. * Does it infringe personal or private matters that we have no right to invade.
Animal Rights – 135-164
* 200 million animals were used for scientific purposes
* in the name of improving the quality of human life
* vivisection is to dissect it, to cut it and while it is alive * 3 major areas of science in which animals are routinely used * biological and medical eduction
* toxicology testing for harmful affects for human beings of various chemical first tested on animals * original and applied research, including not only research into the causes and treatment of various diseases but also basic biochemical nature and behavior...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document