Suzlon Energy

Topics: Wind power, Wind turbine, Wind farm Pages: 7 (2215 words) Published: December 16, 2012

The Suzlon Group is ranked as the world’s fifth largest wind turbine supplier, in terms of cumulative installed capacity, at the end of 2011. The company’s global spread extends across Asia, Australia,Europe, Africa and North and South America has over 20,500 MW of wind energy capacity installed in 32 countries, operations across 33 countries and a workforce of over 13,000. The Group offers one of the most comprehensive product portfolios – ranging from sub-megawatt on-shore turbines at 600 Kilowatts (KW), to the world’s largest commercial 6.15 MW offshore turbine – with a vertically integrated, low-cost, manufacturing base. The Group – headquartered at Suzlon One Earth in Pune, India – comprises Suzlon Energy Limited and its subsidiaries, including REpower Systems SE. Suzlon's story began in 1995 when founder Tulsi Tanti was managing a 20-employee textile company. Due to the local infrastructure's erratic availability of electricity and because of the rising costs of power, the highest business expenditure after the raw materials was electricity. Suzlon was founded by Tulsi Tanti in 1995, when he was working in a family-owned textile company. In that year, India's shaky power grid and the rising cost of electricity offset any profits the company would make. After providing electricity for his own company, Tanti realized that other companies in India could also greatly benefit from being sold wind power technology and advised on its use. With the help of some of his friends of Rajkot, he moved into wind energy production as a way to secure the textile company's energy needs, and founded Suzlon Energy. Suzlon adopted a business model wherein clients would be responsible for 25% of the up-front capital investment and Suzlon would arrange the remaining 75% on loan. Initially banks were hesitant to fund loans for this model but by 2008 40-50 Indian banks were financing wind power projects for Suzlon clients. In 2001, Tanti sold off the textile business, so he could focus on the development of his wind energy business. In 2009, Suzlon was actively run by Tulsi Tanti, in the role of Chairman. In 2003, Suzlon got its first sale in USA, with an order from DanMar & Associates to supply 24 turbines in southwestern Minnesota. Also in 2003 Suzlon set up an office in Beijing. Suzlon operates the 584 MW wind park in the Eastern Ghats, (Tamil Nadu). Also, the company operates what was at the time of construction Asia's largest wind park, a 201 MW park near the Koyna reservoir in Satara district of Maharashtra - The Vankusawade Wind Park. Suzlon will install 45 units of its S88 – 2.1 megawatt wind turbine for AGL at the Hallett Wind Farm to be located approximately 220 kilometers north of Adelaide, in South Australia. Suzlon will invest Rs 15000 crores in setting up a 2500 MW wind farm in Karnataka.

➢To be the technology leader in the wind industry
➢To be among the top three wind energy companies in the world ➢To be the most respected brand and preferred Company for all stakeholders ➢To be the best team and best place to work
➢To be the fastest growing and most profitable Company in the sector

Suzlon seeks to enhance their position in India as a provider of integrated wind energy solutions and to expand their markets globally. They intend to accomplish it through; 1)Expanding their WTGs product line and improving existing models by leveraging the WTG design and develop capabilities that they have developed through their research and development subsidiaries, particularly in the MW and multi-MW class. 2)Integrating manufacturing facilities: They have developed and implemented a backward integration strategy that allows them to manufacture rotor blades in-house. They believe that increasing their in-house manufacturing capabilities will allow them to lower WTG manufacturing costs, give them greater control over the supply chain for key WTG components and enable...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Suzlon Essay
  • Energy Alternatives Essay
  • Essay on Energy
  • Essay on Swot of Suzlon.
  • Energy sources Essay
  • Essay about Biomimicry in Energy Technologies
  • Energy Transition Could Be Faster Essay
  • Renewable and Non-Renewable Energy Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free