| Bachelor of Business (Incorporating Graduate Diploma in Business & Graduate Certificate in Business)Strategic Management467943Semester One 2013
TABLE OF CONTENTS
| Welcome to Paper Overview Paper Level & PointsHours TaughtDelivery ModeIndependent Study
| Teaching Team & Contact Details
| Paper Information 3.1 Pre-requisite Requirements 3.2 Paper Aim3.3 Learning Outcomes 3.4 Content
| AUTonline Programme Organisation
| TextsRequired TextsRecommended Texts
| Weekly Programme
| Assessment InformationBusiness Assessment & Study HandbookExtensions and other Special Consideration Applications (SCAs) Assessment StructureExam Timetable Location Pass RequirementsAssessment DetailsPeer Assessment FormMarking guides
1 Welcome to Strategic Management of the Bachelor of Business, Graduate Diploma in Business, Graduate Certificate in Business and BBus Conjoint Programmes.
You are expected to read the contents of this study guide, also available on AUTonline under “All My Courses”.
This paper runs for 14 weeks (12 in class and 2 reading/exam weeks), and has one 1.5 hour lecture per week and one 1.5 hour workshop. Students will be required to supplement each hour of class with 3-4 hours of their own work. This is a level 7 paper, worth 15 points.
Teaching Team and Contact Details
Dr Simon Mowatt*
TBA on AUTOnline
Dr Simon Martin
TBA on AUTOnline
| Paper Co-ordinator*
Students must have taken any TWO of the following papers before they can take this paper: 466641, 466642, 466645, 466646, 466648, 466649, 466650, 466651.
An advanced paper that focuses on strategic thinking and the analysis of organisational and environmental situations in order to evolve and implement strategic plans. Topics include the strategic management process, development of mission, objectives, and strategy options, organisation/industry analysis, competitive advantage and strategic implementation.
By the end of this paper the student will be able to:
1. Define the business in terms of its vision, values, mission and policies. 2. Assess the strategic situation facing the organisation through the application and understanding of the appropriate analytical tools. 3. Extrapolate various options which have arisen from the analysis and evaluate their suitability. 4. Select the most appropriate strategy while recognising the organisational dynamics which would be required. 5. Implement the strategies through leadership styles, organisational structures, systems, culture and actions. 6. Compile measurement devices to monitor the effectiveness of the strategy in meeting the original goals and objectives.
Outline of the main content to be covered in the paper.
* The strategic management process
* Mission, objectives and values
* Organisation/industry/environmental analysis
* Competitive advantage, strategies
* Strategy implementation and control
* Strategic leadership, learning, organisation and culture
Details of all papers, major requirements, full paper descriptors, exam schedules (mid semester and final), assessment forms, semester timetables and all other information relevant to current students can be found on AUTonline under ‘My Organisations’. http://autonline.aut.ac.nz
Dallas Hanson, Michael A Hitt, R. Duane Ireland, and Robert E. Hoskisson, (2011) Strategic Management: Competitiveness and...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document