QUESTIONS ON THE CASES
These questions are provided in order to help you read and prepare these cases more efficiently.They show the key topics which should be covered in class.
Week 1 : Read and prepare
TOMTOM or RIM
1. What strategy is TomTom pursuing, is it working?
2. Does the satellite navigation industry offer attractive opportunities for growth? What kind of competitive forces are industry members facing and how do the forces influence the outlook for industry profitability? 3. What are the strengths and weaknesses of TomTom? What are the threats and opportunities facing the company? 4. Which strategic problem/challenge is TomTom facing for the future? 5. What recommendations would you make to TomTom management to improve its competitive position in the satellite navigation industry, take advantage of market opportunities, and defend against external threats?
1. What are the dominant economic characteristics of the wireless communications industry? What are the distinguishing features of the market for smartphones? 2. What is competition like in the wireless phone industry? Which of the five competitive forces is strongest? Which is weakest? What competitive forces seem to have the greatest effect on industry attractiveness? 3. What are the under lying drivers of change and how might those driving forces change the industry? 4. What strategic approach has Research in Motion chosen to employ in international markets? Would you characterize its strategy as a global strategy or a localized multi-country strategy? How has it utilized location to build competitive advantage? 5. Check on the internet and try to explain the present situation of RIM and the reasons for their problems.
What are the chief elements of Krispy Kreme’s strategy? Was it working?
Identify and explain the key elements of their business model.
3. What does a SWOT analysis reveal about Krispy Kreme’s overall situation, including an evaluation of their financial performance? Do a comparative strengths and weaknesses assessment using McKinsey.
On the basis of your assessment above, what do you think of Krispy Kreme’s growth prospects? Just how good are they?
What major issues do you think that Krispy Kreme management needs to address?
What recommendations would you make to Krispy Kreme management to improve upon the strategy or otherwise sustain the company’s growth and profitability?
Would you buy this company’s stock?
NF Nouvelles Frontières
1. Evaluate the strategic positioning of this company and their most recent strategic move. 2. Explain the relative advantages of being vertically integrated a. tour operator – travel agency
b. airline – hotels
3. Which problems/challenges are they facing at the time of the case 4. Check on the net and find out what happened to the company and why.
Week 2 Read and prepare
Adidas or LVMH
1. What is Adidas’ corporate strategy?
2. What is your evaluation of Adidas’ line-up of businesses in 2009? What does a 9-cell industry attractiveness/ business strength matrix displaying Adidas’ business units look like? 3. Does Adidas’ business line-up exhibit good strategic fit? What value-chain match-ups exist? What opportunities for skills transfer, cost sharing, or brand sharing are evident? Prior to its divestiture, what kind of strategic fits existed between Adidas’ core business and its Salomon business unit? 4. Has Adidas’ business line-up exhibited good resource fit between 1998 and 2008? What have been the financial characteristics of its major business segments during that time period? Which businesses might have been considered cash hogs and cash cows? 5. Based on your analysis of Adidas businesses, did the restructuring undertaken...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document