Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) is a set of written instructions that document a routine or repetitive activity followed by an organization. Operational procedures are vital to the business of running a retail store. Procedures typically cover all activities in the store, from sales transactions to customer support to inventory. The development and use of SOP has various advantages for the organization. Following standard operating procedures increases sales, boosts worker productivity and enhances a store's image.
* An SOP minimizes the variation and promotes standardization through consistent
implementation of a process or procedure within the organization.
* Retail stores use some type of business software or point-of-sale system to track sales. This allows managers to determine what products are selling well and helps them track inventory. Retailers often use this electronic information to generate product orders when replenishing stock levels.
* Inventory management procedures pertain to the handling of products in a store. These procedures include receipt of inventory by verifying that each product is in the order as quoted; regular counting of inventory; and installing cameras or mirrors to limit or prohibit theft.
* Retailers use marketing strategies to draw customers into the store and entice them to purchase goods or services. Marketing tools include radio, newspaper and television advertisements; special pricing; in-store promotions; and signs outside the store to attract buyers.
* Employees are typically a large expense for retailers. Companies often devise schedules to ensure enough workers are available to cover the business' needs without increasing operating costs. Retailers sometimes hire younger people willing to work for lower wages to save the company money. Relying on a large group of hourly... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 09). Standard Operating Procedures in Retail. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 09, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Standard-Operating-Procedures-In-Retail-1094499.html
"Standard Operating Procedures in Retail" StudyMode.com. 09 2012. 2012. 09 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Standard-Operating-Procedures-In-Retail-1094499.html>.
- MLA 7
"Standard Operating Procedures in Retail." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 09 2012. Web. 09 2012. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Standard-Operating-Procedures-In-Retail-1094499.html>.
"Standard Operating Procedures in Retail." StudyMode.com. 09, 2012. Accessed 09, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Standard-Operating-Procedures-In-Retail-1094499.html.