SOCIAL STUDIES SCHOOL BASED ASSESSMENT
[SBA]- YEAR 2011
NAME OF CANDIDATE: NATOYA C. GONZALES
SCHOOL: BISHOP ANSTEY HIGH SCHOOL EAST
TEACHER: MR. MCLEAN
TITLE: AN EXAMINATION ANALYSING THE EXTENT TO WHICH THE USE OF CELLULAR PHONES AFFECT THE STUDENTS AT BAHSE.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
• Statement of problem
• Method of investigation
• Instrument used to collect data
• Procedures used to collect data
• Presentations and explanation of data
• Interpretation of data
The successful completion of this examination would not have been made possible without the assistance, patience, and co-operation of my Social studies teacher and my parents. Therefore, I am pleased to express thanks to sir for lending support and valuable time spent on rendering assistance when necessary. Members of my family have also been a constant source of encouragement and assistance and to them I express lots of gratitude. Lastly, I would like to thank the students of BAHSE for their support and co-operation in answering the questionnaires.
Cellular phones fall under the broad category of technology, and as we know technology can do harm as well as good.
I have been a student at BAHSE for 5 years and during this time I have observed a decrease in the grades/overall performance of students within my classroom. When asked to name a few of the distractions, cellular phones topped the charts, being one of the most prominent and major distractions.
Therefore, I have decided to conduct a survey to interpret to what extent the use of cellular phones distract students of Bahse.
STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
What type of impact (negative or positive), do cellular phones have on the students of BAHSE.
METHOD OF INVESTIGATION
I have decided to use printed questionnaires consisting of 16 questions in order to collect data from the survey.
Using questionnaires as a tool of collecting data have the following advantages:
➢ It allows confidentiality as correspondents are not required to disclose their name.
➢ It is not a time consumer since it takes approximately 2 minutes to complete.
INSTRUMENT USED TO COLLECT DATA
1. How old are you?
2. Do you own a cellular phone?
3. How many cellular phones do you own?
4. Approximately how many times per day do you make calls?
2-4 4-6 7-9 9+
5. When doing homework are you easily distracted by phone calls or text messages?
6. Do you restrict yourself to time limits when using your cell phones? (eg : making phone calls and at what time).
Yes No Sometimes
7. Why did you purchase/receive a cellular phone?
• Because everyone at school has one
• Because you enjoy talking to friends, family etc.
• Because you asked for one
8. Do you use your cellular phone during school hours?
9. How important is your cellular phone to you?
10. Do you think your cellular phone is a distraction?
11. If you use your cellular phone often to make calls, texts, surf the web etc. have you realized a decline in your average grade?
12. Have your parents ever taken away your cellular phone because they think that you tend to become sidetracked from your schoolwork when you pay a lot of attention to it?
13. Do your parents often blame your cellular phone for a decline in your academic...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document