6th Grade Science Vocabulary List
Qualitative Observation- To study by using the 5 senses- things you see, hear, feel, smell, and taste.
Quantitative Observation- to study and look for numbers-measurements, values, and quantities.
Dependent Variable- the variable a scientist observes or measures during an experiment.
Independent Variable- The factor that is changed by the investigator to observe how it affects the dependent variable.
Investigation- a searching inquiry for gaining facts, details, or information.
Barometric (Air) Pressure – The force exerted by the weight of the atmosphere on earth.
Layers of the atmosphere- The different levels of the blanket of gases that surrounds the Earth. 8. Meteoroid- A small, rocky body that moves through space. 9. Asteroid- A small, rocky object the orbits the sun in a regular pattern. 10. Comet- A small, rocky, icy object that orbits the sun with a tail that points away from the sun. 11. Eclipse- the movement of one solar system object into the shadow of another object. 12. Fossil Fuels- Natural fuels such as coal or natural gas formed from the remains of living organisms. 13. Adaptation- an inherited trait that increases an organism’s chance of surviving and reproducing in a particular environment.
14. Biomes- A large group of ecosystems with similar climates and organisms.
15. Abiotic Factor- A nonliving thing in an ecosystem.
16. Biotic Factor- A living or once-living thing in an ecosystem.
17. Probability- A number expressing the likelihood of a given event.
18. Celestial Objects- All objects in the sky or outer space as observed in astronomy.
19. Gravitational Force The force of attraction between all masses in the universe- (P. 187)
20. Plate Tectonics- The theory that the Earth’s surface is broken into large, rigid pieces that move slowly over the...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document