Quintans, Christine B.
TOPIC: Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick
1. Anointing- The practice of applying oil or perfumed oil upon persons or things. 2. Ministry-The work or vocation of a minister of religion.
3. Maladies- A disease, a disorder, or an ailment
4. Salvation- comes from the word “salus” which originally means “health”. Restoration of health both to the physical and spiritual being of a person. 5. Messianic- Belief that a particular cause or movement is destined to triumph or save the world. 6. Penance- An act of self-mortification or devotion performed voluntarily to show sorrow for a sin or other wrongdoing 7. Extrema Unctio- The last Anointing of the Sick.
8. Holy Viaticum- the Eucharist given to a dying person or one in danger of death. Synonymous to anointing. 9.Litany-a ceremonial or liturgical form of prayer consisting of a series of invocations or supplications withresponses that are the same for a number in succession. 10. Mercy- compassionate treatment of or attitude towards an offender
1) Jesus’ big heart for sick, poor, and needy people takes root for his ministry thus; many stories from the gospels show the bona fide love and compassion of Jesus to these people. 2) During their time, people with physical maladies or any person afflicted to these people are being cast out by the society because for them, they are unclean. 3) Jesus called these people as “the least of my brethren” and motivated them by His profound charity and compassion, He performed many miracles and wonders on them and revealing them signs of salvation not only physically but spiritually. 4) Christ entrusted to his apostles his messianic mission so that they may help to the needy and heal the sick. 5) St. Paul mentions to his letter to the Corinthians that healing is one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. 6) .“A practice of the early church… which included the...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document