Grand Canyon University
March 22, 2010
Management Theory Taxonomy
Leadership qualities dated back to (315-311 BC) – Seleukos conquers and unites Roman and Persian empire by leading his troops ethically, with respect for diversity, social responsibility and organizational culture.
Management Foundation- Scientific management
1. Frederick W. Taylor (1911) - Time study: to analyze motional task and develop the most efficient ways to perform them. Reduce job to basic physical motions. Principal object of management should be to secure the maximum prosperity for the company and maximum prosperity for the employee.
2. Frank and Lillian Gilbreth – Motion studies to observe motions workers make to simplify job.
3. Henri Fayol (1916) - Administrative Principles – believed management could be taught
• Foresight – complete plan of action for the future
• Organization – resources to complete plan
• Command – lead, select and evaluate workers
• Coordination – diversity, information, solve problems
• Control - Ensure plan works and correct any negative action
Max Weber - Organization is logic, orderly and has legitimate authority.
• Career managers
• Clear division of labor
• Promotion based on merit
• Formal hierarchy of authority
• Written rules and standard procedures
Behavioral Management Approaches
Mary Parker Follett – Organization is community
• Every employee is an owner and has collective responsibility and input.
The Hawthorne Studies (1924) – Scientific Management
• Determine economic incentives and physical conditions of the workplace affect the output of workers.
• Hawthorne Effect – Tendency or personas singled out for special attention to perform as expected.
• Human Relations movement (1050-1960) Managers using good human relations will achieve... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 03). Organizational Behavior Theories Taxonomy. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 03, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Organizational-Behavior-Theories-Taxonomy-301626.html
"Organizational Behavior Theories Taxonomy" StudyMode.com. 03 2010. 03 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Organizational-Behavior-Theories-Taxonomy-301626.html>.
"Organizational Behavior Theories Taxonomy." StudyMode.com. 03, 2010. Accessed 03, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Organizational-Behavior-Theories-Taxonomy-301626.html.