By 1906 the energy and promise of the first few years of the "modern" new century had already had a stimulating effect on inventors and craftsmen. Ingenuity, imagination, and a sense of exploration and discovery helped the fountain pen make its technical and commercial breakthrough as a writing instrument. The first practical fountain pen had been patented as early as 1884, and the revolutionary lever filler was only two years away from introduction. In Hamburg, stationer Claus-Johannes Voss, together with banker Alfred Nehemias, and the Berlin engineer August Eberstein, recognized the “signs of the time,” and decided to produce fountain pens, their joint venture setting the cornerstones for the future internationally successful company, known as Montblanc.
In 1906, After a short period of time Wilhelm Dziambor, Christian Lausen and later Claus Johnannas Voss took over the business and thus laid the foundation for the future internationally successful company Montblanc. At first, the small new company was called Simplo Filler Pen Company. The name 'Simplo' was doubtless derived from the word 'simple', which referred to the new pen design with a 'built-in' inkwell. A year later, in 1909, a technically improved fountain pen, "Montblanc," was introduced. The name "Montblanc" was registered as a trademark, and the name used for all writing instruments produced by the company.
1914 saw the Montblanc star what people would later call the snowflake become the brand signet, with all the writing instruments produced by the Simplo Filler Pen Company bearing the unmistakable rounded white symbol. Representing the snow-covered peak of Mont Blanc, the highest European mountain, this artisan’s device stood for commitment to the highest quality and finest European craftsmanship.
Launch of the legendary Meisterstück what would come to be the world's most famous and easily recognized writing instrument, took place in 1924. The Meisterstück 149 fountain pen was to become the ultimate symbol for writing culture and and style icon for perfect and timeless design aesthetics. As the Roaring Twenties galloped toward their end, Montblanc kept pace, swiftly expanding into more than 60 different countries as an almost ubiquitous name. Impressive advertising campaigns, like fitting cars with an oversize fountain pen, the Montblanc sign on top, and the first advertising planes, took the Montblanc name into a completely new dimension, attracting tremendous attention.
In 1927, for the first time and ever since, the heart of the Montblanc Meisterstück, its nib, was engraved with the number "4810," the elevation of the mountain, Mont Blanc itself. Then, in 1934, the company officially assumed the appellative that had already become an internationally known brand, and took the corporate name, Montblanc Simplo GmbH. Just twelve months later, by issuing a "lifelong" guarantee for the Meisterstuck, Montblanc demonstrated that it always pays for the customer to choose the best. At the same time, Montblanc began a process which would ultimately fashion an environment for its growing range of writing instruments, and those who chose to care about what they put to paper, and how. The company took over a producer of fine leather goods in Offenbach, Germany: Thenceforth, desk accessories were produced under the Montblanc name.
The year 1955 ushered in the new...