Market specifics need to be carefully analyzed and marketers should become familiar with the data for each. In order to market a brand or specific goods/services, marketers should be sensitive to each group and shouldn’t be afraid to tap into each market. Below is information on the three largest minority groups in the United States and what each one prefers.
• The total numbers in the US is 42 million (“United States Census Bureau”).
• African Americans make up 13.6% of the total US population (“United States Census Bureau”).
• The rate of growth for this minority group from 2000 to 2010 was 15.4% (“United States Census Bureau”).
• The average household size is 2.7 (“United States Census Bureau”).
• The average age for African Americans is 32.1 (“United States Census Bureau”).
• The percentage of African Americans 25 and older that hold a bachelors degree or higher is 18% (“United States Census Bureau”).
• The median income per year was $32,068 (“United States Census Bureau”).
• More than half of the African-American population (55%) live in the Southern states. Texas, Florida, and Georgia have a population of about 3 million, while New York still has the highest with 3.4 million (“Black Demographics”). Metro areas with the largest African American population with 1 million or more are:
• New York, NY
• Atlanta, GA
• Chicago, IL
• Washington, MD-VA
• Philadelphia, PA
• Los Angeles – Long Beach, CA
• Miami – Fort Lauderdale, FL
• Houston, TX
• The brands that have a higher than average purchase rate among African Americans are Procter & Gamble, L’Oreal, Yoplait, General Motors, Oreos, Slim Fast, Tide, Campbell’s, Ragu, Lexus, Pampers, Jell-O, and Levi’s (Sampey).
• Specific products that have above average usage for this group are basic food ingredients, beverages, personal care items, and beauty care.
• The best media to use in order to target this group is television because African... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 11). Minority Research Paper. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 11, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Minority-Research-Paper-1242752.html
"Minority Research Paper" StudyMode.com. 11 2012. 11 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Minority-Research-Paper-1242752.html>.
"Minority Research Paper." StudyMode.com. 11, 2012. Accessed 11, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Minority-Research-Paper-1242752.html.