Table of content:
1. A critical review of theories of innovation and change, including the leadership of innovation and change.
P.4 1.1 Theories of innovation
1.2 Theories of change
1.2.1 Traditional models
p.7 1.2.2 Critical perspectives
p.8 1.2.3 Strategic management
1.3 Theories of creativity
2. The leadership of change, innovation, and creativity
p.9 2.1 Theories and models of leadership
2.1.1 The model of leadership strategies
2.1.2 The model of leadership practices
p.10 2.1.3 Ekvall’s model, the leadership and change
p.10 2.1.4 Servant leadership
2.1.5 The five levels of leadership by Collins
2.1.6 The Situational leadership
2.2. Overcoming resistance to change
3. An evaluation of a successful and less successful innovation/change of which I have personal experience, related to relevant theory.
p.13 3.1 A non-successful change
3.2 A successful change
4. A reflection on my personal performance as a leader of innovation and change
p.15 4.1 My personal Performance
4.1 My action plan
In a world growing ever faster than before, innovation and change became inevitable. Innovation brings change and change brings fear and uncertainty. This led many authors and writers to study innovation and change to come up with theories that could help in setting up the innovation and the change for success. In the course of this assignment a critical review of theories of innovation, change and creativity is presented. Starting by theories related to innovation such as Schumpeter theories, the incremental radical innovation, the Henderson –Clark Model, the S-curves framework, the Teece model, the Abernathy- Utterback model, and the disruptive innovation. This first part also points out the different theories of change grouped under traditional models, critical perspectives, and strategic management models; followed by the different theories of creativity and its components, in addition to a review of the leadership of innovation, change, and creativity. This work also evaluates two practical examples that I have directly experienced in my working place, the first one was unsuccessful, while the second one was successful. The last part is a critical of my own leadership style, along with an action plan to develop my leadership skills.
1. A critical review of theories of innovation and change, including the leadership of innovation and change. The good management of leading innovation and change inside organizations is crucial in order to succeed in the present highly competitive business environment. Theories and approaches of leadership of innovation and change are good tools to take in consideration inside the organizations, but they could be a bit confusing for practitioners as they do present some dissimilarity. The purpose of this first part of the assignment is to give a critical review of the main theories and approaches of innovation, change, creativity, and leadership.
2.1 Theories of innovation:
Most of the writers agree that innovation is about bringing forward new ideas and implementing them. Von Stamm (2003) described innovation as ‘creativity plus successful implementation’. Adair (2007) also points out that to ‘innovate means literally to bring in or introduce something new - some new idea, method or device’. He also adds that innovation ‘combines two major overlapping processes, having new ideas and implementing them’. While innovation in the past was an element to consider inside organizations, now a day, it is a critical key for the success inside organizations. The ability to innovate again and again is a must to keep...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document