National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) Principles and Process Standards Worksheet
Directions: Go to the NCTM website by using the following directions:
1. Go to http://www.nctm.org/standards/content.aspx?id=4294967312 2. Click on the Standards and Focal Points section from the top navigation bar. 3. Click the Principles and Standards for School Mathematics navigation bar on the left of the page. 4. Click on the Overview section.
5. Click on Standards for Grades Pre-K–2.
6. Click on Standards for Grades 3–5.
7. Click on Standards for Grades 6–8.
8. Click on Standards for Grades 9–12.
Review the information in the Overview section and select two significant process standards. Explain in 100- to 200- words why you choose these two standards.
|I chose equality and learning and I chose these two because equity is needed in our schools for our students to understand what is going on and learning is needed for them to understand the | |concepts of what they are learning. The NCTM highlights the most important mathematical topics of each grade. It is a cluster of related knowledge, skills and concept. I chose the Standards | |for grades 6-8 I looked at the standards for Fractions and decimals in these area students apply their understandings of fractions and fraction models to represent various types of addition | |and subtraction of fractions with unlike denominators. The second standard in which I chose was 3 D shapes. This allows students to relate two-dimensional shapes. It helps them to understand | |and recognize the total number of same sized units of volume that they need to fill a space without gaps or overlaps. They use these shapes and find surface areas and volumes, they will do | |this and work with surface area and they find and justify relationships among many formulas and will learn to measure necessary attributes of shapes to use the area...