History of Region IV-B (MIMAROPA)
Executive Order No. 103, dated May 17, 2002, divided Region IV (Southern Tagalog) into Region IV-A (CALABARZON) and Region IV-B (MIMAROPA). President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo issued Executive Order 103 on May 17, 2002 which subdivided the Southern Tagalog provinces which comprised Region IV into two regions – Regions IV- A and IV-B, to promote efficiency in the government, accelerate social and economic development and improve public services. Region IV-A is now known as CALABARZON- which stands for the provinces of Cavite, LAguna,BAtangas, Rizal and QueZON). Region IV-B on the other hand, is now known as MIMAROPA which stands for the island provinces comprising the region - MIndoro (Oriental and Occidental), MArinduque, ROmblon and PAlawan. EO103 also transferred the province of Aurora to Region III in Central Luzon. Executive Order 429 moved Palawan to Region VI on May 23, 2005. After this, Region IV-B began to be called MIMARO instead of MIMAROPA. However, Palaweños criticized the move, citing a lack of consultation, with most residents in Puerto Princesa City and nearly all municipalities preferring to stay with Region IV-B. Consequently, Administrative Order No. 129 was issued on August 19, 2005 to address this backlash. This order directed the abeyance of Executive Order 429 pending the approval of an implementation plan for the orderly transfer of Palawan from MIMAROPA to Region VI. As of 2012, it is not clear whether or not the transfer of Palawan to region VI is still considered pending by the Philippine government. As of 2012, the National Statistical Coordinating Board of the Philippines continues to list Palawan province as part of the MIMAROPA region. The 2010 Philippine Census of Population continued to report the Region IV name as Mimaropa, and continued to list the province of Palawan as part of that region.
Provinces of MIMAROPA
Provinces| Provincial Capital|
Occidental Mindoro| Mamburao|
Oriental Mindoro| Calapan City|
Palawan| Puerto Princesa City|
Map of Region IV-B MIMAROPA
History of Marinduque
Legend has it that the island of Marinduque was formed as a consequence of a tragic love affair between two people: Mariin and Gatduke. Mariin's father, a local chieftain, did not approve of this affair and ordered the beheading of Gatduke. Before this could be done, the couple sailed out to sea and drowned themselves, forming the island now called Marinduque. During the Spanish and early American occupations, Marinduque was part of Balayan Province (now Batangas) in the 16th century, Mindoro in the 17th century, and had a brief period as an independent province in 1901, when the Americans arrived. During the Philippine-American War, Marinduque was the first island to have American concentration camps. Marinduque is the site of the Battle of Pulang Lupa, where 250 Filipino soldiers under Colonel Maximo Abad, defeated a smaller force of 54 American Infantrymen. In 1902, the US-Philippine Commission annexed the islands of Mindoro (now two separate provinces) and Lubang (now part of Occidental Mindoro) to the province. Four months later, the province became part of the province of Tayabas (now Quezon). On February 21, 1920, Act 2280 was passed by the Philippine Congress, reestablishing Marinduque as a separate province. In 1942, the Japanese Imperial forces landed in Marinduque.
Festival: The Moriones festival also plays a prominent role in Marinduque's culture. Marinduque is famous for this annual Moriones Festival locally known as "Moryonan". During the month of March or April, parades and celebrations can be seen on the streets. In Santa Cruz, Gasan, Boac, and Mogpog, a parade of people dressed as "Moryons" can be seen on the main road connecting the towns of the island. Boac and Sta. Cruz, the biggest town in the province, shows a reenactment in the...