JOB DESCRIPTION & SPECIFICATIONS
(identifies what the job involves DOING)
(identifies the type of PERSON required to do the job)
The aim of the person specification is to provide a list against which applicants can be assessed.
One of the traditional checklists for preparing a person specification is Rodger’s 7-point plan which includes the headings
(1) Physical make up e.g. height, weight, speech, personal appearance. (2) Attainments e.g. education, professional qualifications, training. (3) General intelligence e.g. reasoning capacity, speed and accuracy of working. (4) Special aptitudes e.g. specialist skills, numerical ability, linguistic skills, manual dexterity. (5) Interests e.g. social or sporting activities requiring teamwork, concentration etc. (6) Disposition e.g. reliability, steadiness, sociability.
(7) Circumstances e.g. ability to work irregular hours or away from home.
EXAMPLE OF PERSON SPECIFICATION USING THE 7 POINT PLAN
Reception Manager – Calebra Hotel, Bultry
1. Overall responsibility for supervision of reception area, under the direction of the Hotel Manager. 2. Supervision of staff, including allocation of tasks, drawing up work rotas & basic training & instruction. 3. Dealing with customer enquiries and requests.
4. Completion of records including reservations, payment of bills, requests for services and accounts. 5. Maintaining in self and subordinates a standard of service and dress which reflect the good name of Calebra Hotels. 6. Attending training courses as and when directed by the Hotel Manager. 7. Being aware of and implementing Calebra Hotels’ health and safety procedures. Other duties as may be reasonably required by the Hotel Manager.
1. Physical make-up Should be presentable to customers e.g. dress smartly. 2. Attainments Good education and supervisory...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document