ANT101 Grading Rubric
Assignment: Final Cultural Research Paper
Throughout this course, we have learned that the primary m ode of subsistence (how a culture makes a living) impacts many other aspects of cultural behavior and has been an effective way to organize thoughts and studies about culture. In order to demonstrate your understanding of subsistence modes and its impact o n a culture and why a culture acts as it does, your Research Paper will require you to:
1. Select a specific culture from the following list:
a. Basseri of Iran
b. The Batek of Malaysia
d. The Amish
e. Huaorani of Ecuador
Nayar of India
n. Tikopia of Melanesia
2. Research this culture using the Ashford University Online Library. Please identify and use a minimum of three scholarly articles from the library in addition to the text your rese arch. Keep in mind that most anthropological research, whether article length or book length, is either an ethnography or an ethnology. You may use any combination of ethnographies or ethnologies in your paper.
3. W rite a seven to eight page long research paper that does the following: a. Identifies and classifies the selected culture’s primary mode of subsistence. ( Foragers, Horticulturalists, Pastoralists, Emerging Agriculturalists, Agrarian States, or Industrialists)
b. Analyzes and evaluates the impact that the primary mode of subsistence of the selected culture has on at least three of the following aspects of culture:
i. Beliefs and values
ii. Economic organization
iii. Gender relations
v. Political organization
vi. Sickness and healing
vii. Social change
viii. Social organization
The Research Paper must be formatted according to APA style and include a title and a reference page (which does not count towards the page length). For information regarding APA samples and tutorials, visit the Ashford Writing Center, within the Learning Resources tab on the left navigation toolbar.
In Week Three, you are required to submit an introductory paragraph, thesis statement, an outline, and your properly formatted reference page with the required sources identified. At that point, you should have chosen y our culture and identified its primary mode of subsistence.
Writing the Research Paper
The Research Paper:
1. Must be seven to eight double-spaced pages in length, and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
2. Must include a title page with the following:
a. Title of paper
b. Student’s name
Course name and number
d. Instructor’s name
e. Date submitted
3. Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement. 4. Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought. 5. Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
6. Must use at least three scholarly sources from the Ashford Online Library. 7. Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. 8. Must include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Final Cultural Research Paper
25 points possible
Student properly identifies the primary mode of subsistence and offers the reasoning behind the chosen classification.
Student incorporates information from any combination of the required three sources, scholarly journal articles, ethnologies, or ethnographies, to support the development of the topic. Conclusions are drawn between a cultures mode of subsistence and at least three aspects of culture to address the question, “why do cultures do as they do?”
The paper is grammatically correct, has two or fewer spelling, punctuation, or grammar errors. The paper has no “run-on” or fragment sentences.
The paper has a clear...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document