Topics: Amino acid, DNA, Protein Pages: 2 (476 words) Published: April 23, 2011
Running head: IP3GENFRMGE

IP 3 Genetics From Genes to Proteins, Mutations
Michael Morris
American Intercontinental University

IP 3 Genetics From Genes to Proteins, Mutations
Part 1
A. Original DNA base sequence 3’-TACCCTTTAGTAGCCACT-5’, in this example, the transcription to mRNA would read as 3’-AUGGGAAAUCAUCGGUGA-5’ B. The translation of mRNA to amino acids (protein sequence) would be Methionine, Glycine, Asparagine, Histidine, Arginine, Selenocysteine (stop). The significance of the first three codons signals the start of the DNA translation. AUG codon is the only unique codon. The tRNA binds to the AUG condon on mRNA. The last three condons signal the end of the translation process. The ribosome disassembles and is reused for another mRNA. (DNA From the Beginning, n.d.). C. Original sequence 3’-TACCCTTTAGTAGCCACT-5’

Mutated sequence 1: 3’-TACGCTTTAGTAGCCATT-5’
Amino acid sequence: Methionine, Arginine, Asparagine, Histidine, Arginine, stop Mutated sequence 2: 3’-TAACCTTTACTAGGCACT-5’
Transcription: 3’-AUUGGAAAUGUACCGUGA-5’
Amino acid sequence: Isoleucine, Glycine, Asparagine, Aspartic acid, Proline, stop If there is a change in amino acid sequence categorized as deletions, inversions, substitutions, translocations or insertions; it could either stop a sequence before the protein is produced, it could eliminate a protein function or produce a shorter strand or sequence (Audesirk, Audesirk & Byers, 2008). Part 2

| c| C|
C| Cc| CC|
c| cc| Cc|

C= normal allele, dominant c= allele for cystic fibrosis
1 out of 4 children will be double recessive (homozygous)25% 2 out of 4 children will have cystic fibrosis trait (heterozygous)50% 1 out of 4 children will be homozygous dominant 25%
There is 75% chance that their children will have the allele for cystic fibrosis. There is a 25% chance their children won’t have the allele for cystic fibrosis.

Cystic fibrosis is a...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Genetics Worksheet Essay
  • Genetics of Parenthood Essay
  • Population Genetics Essay
  • Genetics of Sickle Cell Anemia Essay
  • Genetics Exam 2 Essay
  • GENETICS Chapter 1 Homework Essay
  • Essay on Population Genetics Answers
  • Essay on Sci/230 Genetics

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free