ASSIGNMENTS/ WEEK 5
MULTIPLE CHOICE: ENCIRCLE YOUR ANSWER
1. The Etruscans shared a common linguistic heritage and religious reliefs, but they lacked which of the following?
a. political cohesion
b. being ruled by a king
c. extensive international trade experience
d. a strong navy for defense and trade
2. Which of the following allowed Etruscan society to transform itself in the 7th century BCE?
a. an alliance with Republican Rome
b. an alliance with Greek colonies in the South
c. great mineral wealth
d. a strong navy
3. The fibula excavated from the Regolini-Galassi Tomb illustrates motifs borrowed from the Orient. Which of the following is one of the Oriental motifs?
a. walking lions
b. standing ibexes
d. galloping centaurs
4. The column used on Etruscan temples is similar to which type of Greek column?
5. During the sixth century BCE, Etruscans favored monumental sarcophagi that contained which of the following?
a. bones of the deceased
b. bones of the entire family
c. ashes of the deceased
d. ashes of the deceased and his or her slaves
6. The typical tomb form found at Cerveteri is which of the following?
d. small Etruscan house-shaped terracotta
7. Pedimental sculpture is extremely rare in Etruscan temple architecture. Normally the Etruscans placed their narrative statuary on which of the following elements?
a. the peaks of the temple roof
b. the double niches on the porches
c. only in interior niches in the cella
d. only in niches next to the entrance
8. In Etruscan iconography, which of the following symbolized regeneration?
9. Unlike Greek temples, Etruscan temples were not meant to be seen as sculptural masses. Which of the following architectural elements would this?
a. Columns completely encircled the structure
b. The entrance was centered at the front of the structure c. The front and rear of the structure were indistinguishable d. Narrowed staircases were found on all four sides of the structure 10. The sarcophagus of Lars Pulena was made in the early second century BCE. His expression was somber; although Lars Pulena is shown reclining, he is not at a festive banquet. Which of the following could account for this?
a. A funeral called for gloomy behavior
a. The family was Roman and did not follow Etruscan funeral practices b. It illustrated the decline in Etruscan fortunes
c. It illustrated the decline in the fortune of Lars Pulena
11. Which of the following works of art illustrates how Romanized the Etruscans became in the 1st century BCE?
a. Apulu Veii
b. Aule Metele
c. Fibula, Regolini-Galassi Tomb
d. Reclining Couple Sarcophagus
12. Which of the following was a tool used by archaeologists to explore tomb interiors at Tarquinia without the expensive and time-consuming excavation process?
b. underground seismograph
c. surveying local black market dealers
d. careful measurement of the entire Tarquinia cemetery
13. The banquet setting seen in the Tomb of the Leopards takes place in which of the following settings?
a. a palace dining room
b. a private house
c. the open air
d. the council chambers of the king
14. The theme celebrated in both the Tomb of the Leopards and the Tomb of Hunting and Fishing is which of the following?
a. the joy of life
b. the gloom of death