MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question. 1) Which of the following statements about crystalline and amorphous solids is TRUE? A) An example of a crystalline solid is glass.
B) An amorphous solid is composed of atoms or molecules with a majority of its volume empty. C) A crystalline solid is composed of atoms or molecules arranged with long-range repeating order. D) An example of an amorphous solid is table salt (NaCl).
E) All of the above statements are TRUE.
2) What are the possible orbitals for n = 3?
B) s, p, d
C) s, p, d, f
D) s, p
How many mg does a 433 kg sample contain?
4.33 × 10-4 mg
4.33 × 107 mg
4.33 × 108 mg
4.33 × 106 mg
4.33 × 10-3 mg
4) Gas is sold for $1.399 per liter in Toronto, Canada.
credit card be charged in Canadian dollars?
Your car needs 12.00 gallons.
How much will your
5) Determine the final temperature of a gold nugget (mass = 376 g) that starts at 398 K and loses 4.85 kJ of heat to a snowbank when it is lost. The specific heat capacity of gold is 0.128 J/g°C. A) 398 K
B) 133 K
C) 377 K
D) 187 K
E) 297 K
6) Calculate the atomic mass of gallium if gallium has 2 naturally occurring isotopes with the following masses and natural abundances:
A) 69.80 amu
B) 70.00 amu
C) 69.72 amu
D) 70.68 amu
E) 69.93 amu
7) What species is represented by the following information? p+ = 12 n° = 14 e- = 10
Identify the charges of the protons, neutrons, and electrons. protons 0, neutrons +1, electrons -1
protons +1, neutrons 0, electrons -1
protons 0, neutrons -1, electrons +1
protons -1, neutrons 0, electrons +1
protons +1, neutrons -1, electrons 0
9) Determine the velocity of a marble (m = 8.66 g) with a wavelength of 3.46 × 10-33 m. A) 22.1 m/s
B) 11.3 m/s
C) 52.9 m/s
D) 38.8 m/s
E) 45.2 m/s
10) A piece of iron (C=0.449 J/g°C) and a piece of gold (C=0.128 J/g°C) have identical masses. If the iron has an initial temperature of 498 K and the gold has an initial temperature of 298 K, which of the following statements is TRUE of the outcome when the two metals are placed in contact with one another? Assume no heat is lost to the surroundings.
A) Since the two metals have the same mass, the final temperature of the two metals will be 398 K, exactly halfway between the two initial temperatures.
B) Since the two metals have the same mass, the thermal energy contained in the iron and gold after reaching thermal equilibrium will be the same.
C) Since the two metals have the same mass, but the specific heat capacity of gold is much smaller than that
of iron, the final temperature of the two metals will be closer to 298 K than to 498 K. D) Since the two metals have the same mass, the thermal energy contained in each metal after equilibrium will be the same.
E) None of the above are true.
11) Determine the name for N2O5.
A) nitrogen tetroxide
B) nitrogen oxide
C) dinitrogen pentoxide
D) nitrogen (II) oxide
E) nitrogen (IV) oxide
12) What is the empirical formula for C4H10O2?
13) Write a balanced equation to show the reaction of gaseous ethane with gaseous oxygen to form carbon monoxide gas and water vapor.
2 C2H6 (g) + 7 O2 (g) " 4 CO2 (g) + 6 H2O (g)
C2H6 (g) + 5 O (g) " 2 CO (g) + 3 H2O (g)
2 CH3 (g) + 5 O (g) " 2 CO (g) + 3 H2O (g)
2 C2H6 (g) + 5 O2 (g) " 4 CO (g) + 6 H2O (g)
C2H6 (g) + 7 O (g) " 2 CO2 (g) + 3 H2O (g)
14) Calculate the mass percent composition of sulfur in Al2(SO4)3. A) 42.73 %
B) 35.97 %
C) 21.38 %
D) 28.12 %
E) 9.372 %
15) Combustion analysis of 63.8 mg of a C, H and O containing compound produced 145.0 mg of CO2 and 59.38 mg of H2O. What is the empirical formula for...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document